Resizing Raid0 array - Intel Matrix

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamingguy27

Hello all,

I have two 160gb Samsung Spinpoint hard discs in a Raid0 array, they used to be in a Raid1 array (therefore having a total storge capacity of 160gb) but since then I have migrated to Raid0.

But, i'm still left with a 160gb Raid0 array since the migration (with 160gb of available space on the array).

Anyone know how to resize my Raid0 partition?

PC Specs are as follows:

Asus P5K Premium
Intel Q6600
4 x 1GB DDR800
Samsung 160GB Spinpoint NCQ HDDs

Cheers!

Alex

Are you left with a 160GB array or a 160GB logical drive or a 160GB partition? This is very important.

It's a 160gb partition, as I can add another Raid0 array to the existing setup.

P.S: See attached pic.

Cheers,

Alex.

Attachments

• Raid.jpg
    Raid.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 9
OK.. So you have a logical drive (volume) and you need to expand it to fill the array.

If you select the "Windows" volume in this program, do you get any resizing options?

Thanks for the help mate,

No I don't unfortunatley I get the option to modify the volume, but this only allows me to change the RAID type not size of array.

Thanks.

Alex.

Maybe you can do this offline? (Meaning not inside Windows). Something in the RAID BIOS or maybe some bootable utility from Intel?

At least you ought to be able to create a new volume in that unused space if all else fails..

Recently I used a trick that may help you ...
I had a server running Raid-0 with 2x 80GB drives (80GB usable). What I did was take out one drive and replaced it with a larger, 320GB drive. I let it rebuild the array for a day and the next day I pulled out the last 80GB drive and inserted another 320GB drive.
Obviously this is somewhat dangerous, but it did work for me and that is the only option I had in my situation.
You MUST have a good backup BEFORE you attempt this!!
Afterwards you will notice in Disk Management 200GB+ unused space. You can then create a partition with that space.

Some may think this to be crazy but it does work ... just make sure you can fully recover from disaster before attempting this.

EDIT: The disks were SCSI hot-swappable drives!

I believe he already did the equivalent of that. The problem is that you need to tell the RAID controller to resize the logical drive (volume) inside the now bigger array.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back