TechSpot

Resolutions lower than 1024x768 don't fill the screen.

By Shaft
Jun 9, 2002
  1. My desktop res is 1024x768, but when I play a game with a lower resolution, it doesn't fill the entire screen. It is off center all the way to the right with black bars on the left, top, and bottom. This never happened in 98SE, but I've upgraded to XP. Anyone know why?

2. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,919   +9

Maybe XP drivers use slightly different refresh rate & video timing. Can't you just adjust it from the monitor?

3. JAV

JAV TS Rookie Posts: 264

No Shaft, why did you up(?)grade to XP? [sorry I couldn't help it :D ]

Another wonderful Microsoft technological advancement: if it doesn't run in a 'window' ... :rolleyes:

Good luck,

4. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

Are you saying the image fits perfectly when you play at 1024*768 ?

Most likely it''s due to your refresh rate being defaulted to 60hz. You can fix it by downloading a little utility here -> http://www.nvrt.net/

5. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,373   +289

If you have a decent machine with a decent amount of memory WinXP is a much better OS than 98.

However - I will have to get back at you Shaft if I think of any solutions to your prob. Have you tried reinstalling video drivers? How about checking within the game to see if there's an option to fill screen? Also - please let me know what game it is you're trying to play and on what hardware.

LNCPapa

6. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,373   +289

Oops - ignore the hardware thing - I didn't see your sig.

7. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,199

Can't you use the switches and dials and all that on your monitor to get it to fill the screen?

I read a review about a laptop, and it said it did this exact thing. They said something about going around in your BIOS and doing something, but they never said exactly what.

8. Shaft

Shaft TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 100

Don't I look the fool.

I assumed that expanding the screen using my monitor buttons would cause it to be too big when it returned to the desktop, but it wasn't the case. I figured that would be too easy, but apparently that's all I needed to do.

9. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

Can you not simply use the pin-cushion and geomtry controls on the monitor?

This is typical, especailly under different refresh rates and such. Once you adjust the screen size the first time for a resolution + refresh rate, you'll never have to again fior that particular res and refresh.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.