Restarts with a device error.. Minidump included

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluestballZ

I've been recently getting alot of errors with everything I do. Let me make a list for you.

1) Playing an online video game, with it just randomly restarting after a few minutes of playing.

2) Trying to update my AVG.

3) Playing videos on Youtube and any other flash media.

4) Playing videos through my WMP, Real, or Winamp.

Also, sometimes, when it does have a serious error.. It gets to the user screen, restarts, and does it over and over again. I have more .dmp files if you need them.. I have about 20 here.. >_>

Every one of your minidumps is an 0x50 error. From auhma.org on this error:

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

Four of the five dumps point to win32.exe as the probable cause but the problem with this read is that is way too general to give us anything specific.

The fifth one points to afd.sys but that too doesn't tell us much because that belongs to your MS operating system.

However, in the minidumps four times the process firefox.exe was listed. Many people have issues with the newer Firefox version (s). This could be your issue and what you listed as causing your BSODs they all have to do with online surfing, game playing, YouTube, etc.

One other process of significant note is the process ccapp.exe which is of Symantec (Norton). Here is some information I have found off the net:

ccapp.exe is a process belonging to Norton AntiVirus. It is responsible for the auto-protect and email checking facilities, both of which will not function correctly if this service is stopped. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Note: ccapp.exe could also be a process belonging to an advertising program by Symantec Common Client CC App. This process monitors your browsing habits and distributes the data back to the author's servers for analysis. This also prompts advertising popups. This process is a security risk and should be removed from your system.

* Note: I am just passing on what information I have found. I don't necessarily agree with removing anything unless I fully assured it is the right thing to do.

* Interesting isn't it that Norton Antivirus is also intitialized for web security.

* I would go to Symantec's website/forums and see what others have to say.

* I also wonder what FireFox users have to say about crashes of this nature.

* Lastly, I would definitely do a virus scan; there are much better security options than Norton. Try using Kaspersky's free online scan.

what type of vid card do u have, a pci-e or agp

just wondering because in all 4 instances he was doing something graphics related, which could cause a problem with the system ram or even the vid card's built in ram. firefox could also be causeing a problem, but i dont think it would cause the system to crash restart, i believe that its another problem thats unrelated to the restarting. in my experiance over the last 20 years is that its the video card

I also want to add, maybe these .dmp files are old, because I just recently deleted my Norton so that I can use AVG, because I hear that AVG catches alot more viruses. Norton really didn't do NOTHING for me, with spyware removal, or virus removal. Maybe I should upload all my .dmp files so that you have a clearer picture. Thanks a lot guys for all your help, I'm still trying to look for the problem. :(

My video card is a onboard VIA/SG3 UniChrome IGP. It's the one I got with the computer. I think it's RAM is 32MB?

The most recent minidump is from the 1st of February, and Norton is still installed. Post five of the most recent ones. The minidumps are in date format, e.g. Mini020108-01.dmp is the 1st of Feb 2008.

And Norton has the tendency to leave remnants of itself behind which can cause problems. If I recall correctly Norton does have a free tool to completely uninstall their product.

Some are general but one that is consistent is the 0x50 errors along with 0x8E errors. I posted earlier about the 0x50 errors and I want to note the following from the description: incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) can be a reason.
Here is what I believe your issue is from what I can read in your minidumps.

avg7rsxp.sys was cited in one as the probable cause which a driver for the AVG Resident Anti-virus shield.

Also named was avginet.exe which is the executible for AVG system updater. Both of these are important because...

Your last dump pointed to AluSchedulerSvc which is a process belonging to the Symantec LiveUpdate service which updates your Symantec products periodically.

* Anytime you have two firewalls, two antispyware, or antivirus softwares trying to access at the same time you will have conflicting issues and resulting in the problems you are now experiencing. You have two updaters going at the same time.

* I suggest fully uninstalling both AVG and Symantec. I know you said that you uninstalled Norton but as I said earlier Norton leaves too much behind. Use their uninstall tool.

I uninstalled Norton 2006 from my mom's old computer two days ago and CCleaner's uninstalling tool had to separately uninstall the Symantec Live Update.

* Once you clean both out, reinstall AVG and see if you get stability.

Sorry, guys, for reopening this thread.. But, I just didn't wanna make another thread, about the same stuff. I just wanted to know if anyone can determine why, or what, caused this crash. I know what caused it, I just don't know WHY it caused it.

Your error is 0x8E and it cites the probable cause as win32.sys which is too general of description to give anything definitive though someone who has more knowledge that I do may be able to read the minidump and give a more drfinitive answer.

It did note the process csrss.exe and it is the main executable for the Microsoft Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem. This process manages most graphical commands in Windows. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated. It runs at all times.

From auhma.org:

0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

If you cleaned out Norton, etc. did you run chkdsk, defrag, etc.,after doing so?

What did cause it if you don't mind sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back