Retrieve data off of Raid 0 drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two hard drives that are RAID 0, data being written to both. My motherboard went out and in the process of trying to find a new one, i want to know if i can still recover the data on the drives. They are not boot drives. I have a Gigabyte GA-8KNXP motherboard with a on-board Gigaraid IDE controller. Do i need to get the same exact motherboard to get the data off? A motherboard with the same controller? Or is there another way? Thank you so much!!

Specs:

P4 3.4 Ghz
3 GB Ram
Gigabyte GA-8KNXP motherboard
X800XT video card
Win XP Pro

Yes, if the drive is still spinning, you can connect it as a slave, or in a usb enclosure and drag and drop, or use recovery software... I would use a powered USB enclosure with a 5V power adapter... do not count on the power of the USB connection to turn it long enough or fast enough.
Or you can jumper it as a slave in many cases that have RAID space and get what you need.
If you KNOW the drive to be defective when you begin, startup with a plan, and do not quit until you have done your best job of rescue... because the drive may not turn the next time you try it.

Raybay is a busy person and missed that you have 2 drives in raid 0 - :)

Another poster asked this recentl;y and I said:
Just a thought: Let's say you install as Raid 0 on a mobo with Intel Raid and the chipset is 925X.

If you took those drives and connected them to another Intel Raid supporting mobo in the same position (Sata 0 and Sata 1 slots as example) and that mobo had the bios set the same to recognize the Raid 0, the only real difference I can see would be the chipset drivers.

Those you 'might' be able to change by booting into Safe Mode.

Again, I am just woolgathering here.

Of course, there are companies that specialize in data retrieval of it is VERY critical and that is the safe method. Or just find an identical mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back