Reversing A Case Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

be_patient

hi, i currently have a thermaltake tsunami, the model with the window.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811133137

i have noticed that the side 90mm fan is situated directly above my cpu, this fan is sucking air into the case! i thought it would be better cooling for cpu if it was blowing air out, but i am far from sure about this.

So i wondering does anyone know, is it better to have the air blowing on to the fan/heatsink on cpu, or is it better to have the air being sucked away from it and freeing up heat in the case?

...also if it is better to have it an exhaust fan, is there a way 2 reverse the fan, or do i just buy a new one?

thanks, be patient

be_patient,
just turn the fan around, and mount it to change the direction of the air flow

If its on the side of the case and inline with the heatsink, you should direct the air inward. Because if you think about it, the heatsink fan is blowing air onto the heatsink, so you would want to supply it with fresh cool air by directing the fan to blow into the case.

In general terms, fans at the front of the case should blow in, fans at the back of the case should blow out, fans at the side should blow in, and fans at the top should blow out. There are of course exceptions, but for most setups that is how it should be done.

SNGX1275 said:
If its on the side of the case and inline with the heatsink, you should direct the air inward. Because if you think about it, the heatsink fan is blowing air onto the heatsink, so you would want to supply it with fresh cool air by directing the fan to blow into the case.

In general terms, fans at the front of the case should blow in, fans at the back of the case should blow out, fans at the side should blow in, and fans at the top should blow out. There are of course exceptions, but for most setups that is how it should be done.

This sounds good to me... and if you ever want to change the direction of the air flow, just turn the fan around

F1N3ST said:
You can also reverse the positive and negative wires.
I'm not too sure about that, while it ...technically... should work, most of my fans (actually, all but one) don't want to spin if I do that. And, you know, I DO want them to.... spin.

SNGX1275 said:

thats what i thought and thats exactly what i needed to hear. thanks

F1N3ST said:
You can also reverse the positive and negative wires.
i read somewhere that if you do this then the fan is blowing against its design (spinning other way) and therefore severely lowers performance... not sure if its true though but sounds right because of the angles of the fins.

thanks for all replies.... so i am best leaving it 2 blow in, beautiful less work for me. HAHA!

be patient

F1N3ST said:
Lol, really?
Yup, I'm not kidding. I accidentally put a fan on with zip ties the wrong way and didn't wanna cut the zip ties and do it all over again (hard to reach spot, didn't want to take PC apart). And then it didn't work, so I was forced to do it the hard way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back