Reviews of this mobo/proc/ram combo I'm about to buy would be much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiceGuyEd

Hello all,
My nephew has been saving his pennies and now has enough money to build a computer. He asked for my assistance in picking out the parts. I'm surely no expert, but managed to piece together a system at newegg.

He's in highschool and basically needs an all purpose system. I'm sure he will be doing heavy gaming, dvd watching, music listening, etc.

He has his heart set on this case.

Here's the mobo, proc, memory & HD I've picked out. Please tell me if these would likely work together with no problems.

Mobo: ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Socket 939 Processor
Ram: (2) sticks of: CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200
HD: Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150

Thanks for any comments or advice! :)
Ed

Hi Ed and welcome. First off get a A8N SLI Premium instead of the deluxe. About the same price and it is the better mobo (I have a deluxe BTW). I am not a fan of Maxtor hard drives but that is a great price. Here is a really good price on a 6800GT video card the O/C's easilyto ultra speeds.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150091

Lastly, if he is set on that case, fine but I'd suggest you remove that PSU (power supply unit) and stick it is a box somewhere or just dump it in the trash. He needs to get a high quality PSU, especially with that mobo. I used this one in my wife's PC and it is great, Very quiet, llots of amps on the dual 12v rails etc. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104934 Plus it has sleeved cables and looks good in the windowed case.

NiceGuyEd said:
He has his heart set on this case. COOL case!

Here's the mobo, proc, memory & HD I've picked out. Please tell me if these would likely work together with no problems.

Mobo: ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
Good board!
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Socket 939 Processor
Good CPU!

Ram: (2) sticks of: CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200
Fair but Good ram... non-value corsair is better

HD: Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150
Only weak spot I'm not a fan of Maxtor, prefer WD, Seagate or Toshiba.
Good price tho for this maxtor
Man! wish I could've gotten my high school start like this!

over all :grinthumb

NiceGuyEd said:
What's the main difference between the Deluxe and Premium boards... The Deluxe is a bit more expensive?

I think the biggest difference between the two is the chipset heatsink. The deluxe has a fan on the heatsink and it is a noisy one. It is also famous for being faulty and dying in the first month you have the board (mine did). It is easy enough to replace but a bit of a pain in the you know what.

The premium version however, has no fan. It uses passive cooling instead.

DonNagual said:
I think the biggest difference between the two is the chipset heatsink. The deluxe has a fan on the heatsink and it is a noisy one. It is also famous for being faulty and dying in the first month you have the board (mine did). It is easy enough to replace but a bit of a pain in the you know what.

The premium version however, has no fan. It uses passive cooling instead.

Ah, yes. I read about those chipset fan problems in the google reviews. I'll definitely go for the premium version. :)

You'd think that the Deluxe version would be cheaper than the Premium tho, no? :confused:

Peek-a-boo Icu

DonNagual said:
Just to add a voice for the Maxtor fans...

They rule.

[hides from Socrates]
hahaha :haha:
No need to hide.....DonNagual

Maxtor are a good value for the perfomance they give.
I had an external usb maxtor That worked great.
It's the internal ones I've been disapointed with,
3 in the last year that died about one month after warranty
was up, 2xWD, 2xQuantum/maxtor, though no failures from seagate.
What I really like are the WD 10,000rpm sata2 350g, now these rawk!

Oh yeah! back to the system opion....Your son is gonna love what
you do build with him!!

I don't know what the fuss is with Maxtor. I've got a 7 year old Maxtor Fireball I'm still using. No bad sectors and crap. I've also got a 1.5gb Maxtor from ancient days. Still works, but pretty much happily retired in the cupboard.

But then again, I've got no quarrels with Seagate neither, their HDDs are still working (I've got 5 Seagate Barracuddas ranging 80-120gb). Between 3-5 years old.

I've never owned a WD, maybe someone will be kind enough to send me one? :p

I've had 2 maxtors now. The first one I had was very noisy (constant banging going on) and had it replaced, only to have the banging start up again a month later. Used it for a year and it never died on me.

And now I have a new Maxtor (250Gb 7200rpm 16mb cache) and it is treating me good so far.

Umm.. this may be a stupid question, but I'd rather be sure. A 64-bit system like this one will be able to run a 32bit OS like Windows XP Pro correct?

Just want to be certain before I make the order... :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back