RIAA's mid-year music report reveals paid streaming subscriptions on the rise

Shawn Knight

Staff member

riaa mid- report streaming revenues retail music riaa digital download digital music streaming music

The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) has released its mid-year report on the music industry. Music sales as a whole were down nearly five percent in the US to $3.2 billion but it’s the digital music revenue that most are looking at today.

Collectively, digital music sales dropped half a percentage point to $2.2 billion in the first half of 2014 although revenue from paid streaming music subscriptions shot up 23.2 percent to $371.4 million. Ad-support streaming, meanwhile, accounted for $164.7 million, up a whopping 56.5 percent during the year-ago period.

Based on these figures, RIAA estimates there were roughly 7.8 million paying subscribers in the US during the first half of the year compared to an estimated 5.5 million last year.

riaa streaming revenues retail music digital download digital music streaming music

In what is a familiar tune to those who have kept a watchful eye on the industry, digital sales of individual tracks and albums fell 11.8 percent while CD sales dropped 19.1 percent to $715.6 million. Interestingly enough, vinyl sales (apparently people still buy records) shot up 41 percent to $6.5 million.

Looking at the bigger picture, digital music accounted for 68 percent of all music revenue in the US (41 percent from downloads and 27 percent from streaming). Physical sales were responsible for 28 percent of revenue while three percent was credited to synchronization and one percent to ringtones (apparently people still buy these, too).

How do you listen to music these days? Do you prefer to buy digital tracks and albums, do you rely on streaming or perhaps still like to purchase physical goods?

Permalink to story.

I mostly stopped listening to music a while ago. I have my personal library, and I'm tired of all the bickering in the industry to buy more. Plus I'm just not going to pay for basically, radio... sorry. I don't even agree with the sat. radio items. Just doesn't make sense to me. For truckers or someone always on the long haul maybe but... I'll pass.

Last edited:
I like to own my library. That applies to games, movies,music and software.I pay for Netflix and listen to Pandora but that's for discovering things I may purchase in the future.

I mostly stopped listening to music a while ago. I have my personal library, and I'm tired of all the bickering in the industry to buy more. Plus I'm just not going to pay for basically, radio... sorry. I don't even agree with the sat. radio items. Just doesn't make sense to me. For truckers or someone always on the long haul maybe but... I'll pass.

I don't think you understand what services this article is talking about. Services like Spotify could not be more different from radio - you are in control, not the DJ.

Also, you stopped listening to music? What?

These *****s would make more money if they listen to the customers. This is proof of that.

Good service + Reasonable Price = $$$

Anybody knows that. You dont have to be a rocket appliance.

I couldn't help but notice that a whole 6.5 million dollars were spent on vinyl records. Which amounts to less than 1/10% of the already "badly sagging" CD sales of 715 million dollars.

Wow whee, that's some trend they got going there, the huge rush back to LPs. It's practically a movement. Better order online, or the crowds at the record store will trample you to death.

...[ ]....Anybody knows that. You dont have to be a rocket appliance.
You do if you want to entertain disenfranchised housewives...

Back