RIM renames itself BlackBerry, launches BB10 and all-touch Z10 smartphone

By Jos
Jan 30, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Today’s a big day for the BlackBerry platform. The launch of a new operating system built from the ground up and new hardware to go with it could very well set the stage for a much anticipated comeback into the...

Read more
  2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,049   +699

Good for them, I hope they can carve out a little niche for themselves now that they've gotten over their bias that no one would ever want a phone without buttons.

Can someone please explain to me the obsession with 'more apps'? Many times I've browsed the top free and top paid apps in android and haven't seen anything I've cared about. I only use about 6 or 8 regularly, and they're pretty mainstream apps.
    nubwaxer likes this.
  3. RH00D

RH00D TechSpot Addict Posts: 394   +101

Yeah, I agree that the whole "But we have THHIISSS many apps" argument is pretty weak. If you remove the apps that are duplicates, haven't been downloaded more than 10 times, is a free version of a paid app or vice versa, and ones that have no meaningful functionality, then you're number of apps goes down quite a bit.
  4. treeski

treeski TechSpot Guru Posts: 869   +129

MilwaukeeMike and RH00D:
    I don't think there really is a big obsession with app numbers anymore. Sure it still gets talked about, but people almost always talk about particular key apps in unison with overall app numbers. We all understand that have key apps is the most important aspect of an app store. When investigating a new phone OS, people don't ask, "How many apps does it have?" They ask "Does it have Draw Something? How about Instagram and Facebook? Netflix?"

As to BB... I think it looks relatively solid. I guess we'll see if it does enough to draw interest.
  5. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TechSpot Booster Posts: 956   +96

When an OS has a lot of apps, it is more likely to have the popular ones you listed above. When you're in Blackberry's position (formerly RIM), getting major players isn't easy, because those developers aren't going to rush to make apps for an OS with little to no users.
  6. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

I say good for Blackberry!!! This MAY be the begining of BB rise again. Previously and before Iphone, BB phones were what everyone had. BB was kind of the start of the whole moble device craze. Once Iphone came out and then Android, BB couldnt keep up. Now they have this new phone. I will keep my fingers crossed for them. They have done what Apple refuses to do. They scrapped their old phones and ideas and came up with something completly new for them.
  7. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,446   +619

That bezel is disgusting. Get rid of those top and bottom sections, please. Didn't they learn anything from iPhone 5?
  8. misor

misor TechSpot Addict Posts: 994   +149

I don't know if this statement is a jab at light humor but I LOLed:
    "The company bragged about having the largest number of apps for any first generation launch at 70,000, and though they managed to get some big names on board we?ll reserve judgement on the other ~69,950."

anyway, nice hardware features on bb10.

however, I think that to move forward, RIM should abandon bb OS and choose android or windows phone OS.
  9. St1ckM4n

Ubuntu, BB10, Android, iOS, FF, WinPho. There's too many, some need to die.
    misor likes this.
  10. psycros

psycros TechSpot Booster Posts: 696   +212

FF and Ubuntu, obviously..precisely nobody asked for Linux featurephones. WP could go as well and nobody would notice. A sizable number of people, esp. in the developing world would lament the loss of Blackberry. They need affordable, reliable messaging and business apps first and foremost. Unfortunately they've pretty much killed themselves in the US since the BB10 devices won't be available from American carriers until April. Whatever momentum the Z10 and Q10's innovations might have spurred were squandered with that colossal bungle.
  11. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,536   +92

I think they leave bezel areas at top and bottom for something to hold on to when using the device in landscape format. Otherwise you are covering the screen when holding it. I too wanted nothing but screen but I couldn't argue with the "handle" logic.

12. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,041   +72

On the contrary, I believe most mobile OS platforms will find some space, especially if they can also get some big names on board to put their OS on devices.

psycros
    In many Asian countries the likes of Samsung aren't held in highest regard when it comes to quality hence it means there is opening for others, so the OS like WP is starting to make good inroads, and I am not talking about Europe where WP has already made some good gains in several markets.

Personally, S3's cheap plasticky feel is a turn off compared to a much better quality feel of iPhone 4S/5 or 920 for example.On the OS side, until I got fed up and switched to custom ROM, S3 would crash more oftenly than it would work, compared that to WP, Lumia 800 I owned and 920 (I tried for few days) never crashed or suffered performance degradation.

On BB:
    From what I've seen so far, they are not bringing anything revolutionary to the table, and at best they can hope to keep their fan base.
  13. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,536   +92

I think they would have been better doing BB only apps for Android and then their own overlay (like HTC sense and Touchwiz). I'm sure they could have integrated Android 'blackberry' phones into their messaging system.
  14. T77

T77 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 315

The z10 and the htc butterfly have as much ram as my pc! But atleast I can take solace in the fact that my pc's graphics power is superior. :)
  15. cmbjive

cmbjive TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 493   +82

If this were the phone that came out instead of the Storm I would still be a happy Blackberry customer. Alas, the Storm did come out, I bought it, I hated it and immediately switched to the Droid X when my contract expired.

I hope this new Blackberry phone works for Blackberry but I've since become a convert to Android.
  16. St1ckM4n

While I can see that, holding the phone in a 'handle' fashion is silly. The forces on the phone (gravity) mean that the only time 'handles' are a good option is if you're looking at it from top-down.

People hold phones by the edges. Causes less slips too.
  17. nubwaxer

nubwaxer Newcomer, in training

I'll bet they have modest success with these devices because they have comparable specs to most of the other high end smartphones and because many people know how well blackberries work and they are not the kind of people overly worried about apps. I'd bet 10 bucks they'll do okay.
  18. St1ckM4n

Actually, I've been meaning to ask - what is the experience with getting a new BB phone? Here in Australia, our biggest telco's business area has no freaking idea wtf a BB is, or how to configure it's services. I spent hours on the phone with support getting them to activate the BB account and link it to the phone data account.. I knew more than they did.

Other phones are a lot easier! Sim in, go!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.