Roblox says is not exploiting children, just helping teens that might need it

Alfonso Maruccia

Staff
In context: After nearly 20 years on the market, Roblox remains extremely popular. Part of its allure is that users can share games that they created. The platform also allows them to monetize their creations. However, things become complicated when considering the age of those content creators.

Roblox has a monthly player count of over 200 million. A not-so-insignificant portion of these players are teenagers or even younger children, leading to child exploitation accusations. However, Roblox Studio boss Stefano Corazza says the platform stands wrongly accused.

Eurogamer interviewed Corazza at GDC, where the company was showcasing a new set of AI-powered tools. When asked about Roblox's reputation for child exploitation, Corazza provided some somewhat questionable rebuttals. People can say that Roblox exploits child labor, but Corazza thinks the company offers young gamers the chance to earn money anywhere in the world.

"I can be like 15 years old, in Indonesia, living in a slum," Corazza said. "And then now, with just a laptop, I can create something, make money and then sustain my life."

Democratization brought by user-generated content (UGC) always has a flip side to consider, and younger Roblox gamers are also involved in this issue.

Corazza said he has heard from younger Roblox players and claims they don't express feeling exploited. They see UGC monetization as the "biggest gift" to them. Roblox's funding to younger and older players now amounts to $1 billion. Most people earning money on the platform are over 18, but Corazza admitted the corporation has hired "some teenagers" (meaning, minors) whose creations were enjoyed by millions of players.

Roblox quickly issued a long-winded statement clarifying Corazza's remarks regarding hiring teenagers. It says it doesn't hire minors. Instead, it pays content creators within the massive Roblox community to play, program, and learn through the platform regardless of age. You can read the company's lengthy explanation in Eurogamer's updated coverage.

Like many other UGC-based platforms, most people creating content on Roblox don't earn cash. Roblox creators are "paid" in "Robux," an in-game currency worth $3.50 for every 1,000 Robux.

Establishing a fair exchange rate is difficult because the company charges more for its currency than it pays to reclaim it. Coin packages range from 400 Robux for $4.99 to 10,000 for $99.99. However, no matter how much you purchase, you'll never see a 1:1 exchange rate.

Permalink to story:

What id!ot let him speak without a PR manager? 😂
Sounds totally disconnected from reality, and doesn't even answer the question properly.

Anyways, from what I remember from another article, Roblox takes around 70% of the revenue (after everything is calculated). Which was also a point against them for exploitation...

I have yet to see a company that isn't guilty of some degree of exploitation .... the very nature of business is to exploit your customers for the sake of profit .... perfect example: Look at any church ...

I have yet to see a company that isn't guilty of some degree of exploitation .... the very nature of business is to exploit your customers
Oops! The entire basis of trade -- the cornerstone upon which is based all societal progress of the last three thousand years -- is that both parties benefit from a free exchange of products and/or services. Your viewpoint here is not simply inappropriate and misinformed, but outright dangerous, as it's been the justification for the most brutal authoritarian regimes in modern history.

Great that a 15 year old living in a slum , with a laptop ( whoops power and internet ) can sustain their life.
Thanks Nobux

Great that a 15 year old living in a slum , with a laptop ( whoops power and internet ) can sustain their life.
I recognize the sarcasm, but having been several times to Indonesia, I can safely say that laptops -- even in the slums of Jakarta and Surabaya -- are ubiquitous. Home broadband was rare, but Internet cafes abound.

I recognize the sarcasm, but having been several times to Indonesia, I can safely say that laptops -- even in the slums of Jakarta and Surabaya -- are ubiquitous. Home broadband was rare, but Internet cafes abound.
Nah I get that, game farming , Roblox, Fiverr are all valid for people in third people countries to make a living , only needing a small fraction of money. Talented Fiverr people can probably make good coin.
Just the use of the word "sustain" for a 15 year old was my reaction.
Don't know much about Roblox, but assume unless you can get your stuff to go viral, no matter how good, it will sink with the trash creations never to be seen again.
My son creates levels on geometry dash , no money , same rule applies, unless already a name, or super prepared to put in a stupendous effort to create something that has to float up, it's sometimes pure luck to get it in front of the moderators . Again if a bunch of kids in Jakarta do it they can boost it initially as a group.

No different than selling the American Dream, with just hard work, you too can be living the high life.
Even in west corporations/companies chew up pretty girls , physical guys without care.
You too can be the next model, actor

But that is actually very good because people can experience all the advantages of using PC offers rather than a laptop.
And when eventually Indonesia becomes prosperous nation with every Indonesian being able to afford a laptop or PC and access to internet, they would all know the better option.

Yes Roblox, help the teens and their parents reallocate some of those troublesome dollars for the sake of mental health.

Back