Roku unveils new Streaming Stick to compete with Google's Chromecast

By Shawn Knight
Mar 4, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Roku on Tuesday announced a new streaming device that'll compete directly with Google's Chromecast. As the name implies, the Roku Streaming Stick is a small dongle that connects via HDMI and packs the same media software found on other Roku...

Read more
  2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,550   +594

The question is which TV's will this work on? Their old Roku stick was extremely limited on TV compatibility.
  3. Bannhammer

Bannhammer TS Rookie Posts: 21

I have both a Roku and Chrome cast and I must say I've been a little disapointed with Chrome cast. Chrome Cast doesn't really do much more than play netflix, I don't get what all the rage is about it. The $15 would be well worth it in my opinion.
  4. Why is this being posted now? This thing was released over a year ago. Hell I bought one back in May..
  5. Try to actually read and understand the article before posting a comment. This article is about the new, Roku Streaming Stick (HDMI version), not about the old Roku Streaming Stick (Roku Ready Version which requires an MHL port, not an HDMI port).

Going to Roku's website and reading more about this new device, it appears that it will work on any HDTV that has an available HDMI port. This new device does not appear to require a "Roku ready TV" (one that has an MHL port).