Room temp and PC Cooling

By c83
Jun 8, 2005
  1. Hi all,
    I've been poking around, both on the net and here, looking for some cooling information. Naturally, there's a lot out there, but I haven't found the info I'm looking for, so I thought I post here.

I've got a small server set up. It's nothing fast, just a P3-500 in a mid sixe case. I've got 3 hard drives in it, the largest is a WD 160GB 7200RPM drive. The other's are smaller and slower.

Here's the problem. I'm running the server full time, and it's in an unairconditioned room in my house. The room, when I was in it yesterday, was 100F. I shut down the server and haven't turned it back on because I'm afraid I'm going to fry something.

So... anyone with any good suggestions? I've seen a fair number of HD coolers, but they all rely on fans, which, I'm thinking in a room that's over 100 degrees (and it will get over that -- it's only the start of summer, after all) those fans might not help much. I could move the computer, but it would be a major pain, and the room it would go in would often be almost as hot.

Thanks for any suggtestions.
  2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,569

my place doesn't have air conditioning either, and in the summer it can get well beyond 90 deg f (right now it's insanely humid). i can tell you that the heat isn't your main concern. if the system has adequate cooling and ventilation it should be good. it's the humidity, for which i keep a dehumidifier running to pretect my electronics.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.