Router connectivity issues

whenallelsefa1l

Hello all.

I have been having some issues with connecting to a router, however the circumstances are not conventional by any means.
I live in a two section house, my landlord lives in the back section. I live in the front. One of the agreements in the lease is that i am allowed to connect to his router for internet access, which is in his house section. Not mine. He is very reluctant to fix any internet problems i have though, and recently i have only been able to connect with my laptop when very close to the back wall. My desktop connects with only one bar recently and will not load any webpage more than a quarter of the way. Programs like Steam and Xfire will not connect to log on whatsoever. I asked him to take a look at the router but i highly doubt he has.

My friends have suggested a wireless bridge, with which i am not too familiarized. Given the circumstances, It seems like i have a few options.

1.) Buy a second router, connect via ethernet cable to his modem, place the router in my home.

2.) Buy a wireless bridge to use and place in my home.

3.) Buy a Powerline Ethernet Adapter.

4.) Purchase my landlord a new expensive N router as opposed to his G router and ask him to open ports in the DMZ for my coputer's IP address.

There are quite a few issues with each of these however.

For option 1, it would require cutting holes in the wall since our sections of the house are not interconnected. and thats a big no on his part.

For option two, The signal strength is so poor in this house section that i doubt it would work, but like i said, i am not too familiar with how wireless bridges work.

Option three seems like a prime option, however i don't think our two house sections are connected through the same electrical circuit, since i pay a separate utilities including electricity.

Option four, i don't believe would work because he would probably take it as a "screw you, im fixing this internet problem myself" kind of statement, the router would be on my tab so a loss of money when i eventually move out of here, and if he does take it as an insult he could very well tell me to get my own internet plan and change his router password on me.

Paying for my own internet is completely out of the question. I don't make enough in order to afford the monthly fee (i need a good connection since i game), let alone the activation and setup fees.wayyyyy too much money for my paycheck. im borderline broke with rent and utilities and gas.

Any suggestions anyone?

Programs like Steam and Xfire will not connect to log on whatsoever.
Will never work; Those ports would need to be forwarded to your system.
Without that, Steam & Xfire will not work.

Jobeard, you are an *****. I am not flaming, but you did not pay attention to one word i said whatsoever. I cannot get internet connectivity at all because my desktop is out of range. I am asking for advice as to how i can expand the signal within the guidelines of my situation.

I was attempting to inform you that AFTER you solve the connection issue, there are BIG
issues that WILL arrise between you and the landlord.

a) he is unwilling to tweek his router
b) Steam & Xfire need port forwarding
c) and to top it all off, if he wants those programs, you will be shut off as port forwarding is
all or nothing; ie only one system can receive them.

Perhaps you live in a forrest and just can't see the trees.

Sorry to have bothered - - I'll avoid doing so in the furture by applying the ignore list

well maybe you should have explained a bit instead of being completely vague. My internet worked fine until about 2 weeks ago when i believe his wife moved their router. Ports are all open, its just a matter of being within range.

you can't be completely vague and expect someone to understand what you are trying to say.

and hughva my etiquette is fine thank you.

Back