Router? Network? Set-up issue?

wakwak1214

Specs: Tp-link TD-8816 modem (bridge mode) > Linksys wrt54g v3 router(running DD-WRT v24-sp2 firmware; PPPoE; pretty much everything is default settings except for the wlan setup) > to Win 7laptop (wired and wireless) , Win 7 desktop (wired), and a tv box for streaming (wired). Internet & Speed: DSL 6mbps/800kbps

Been experiencing some dropped connection for the past week and was wondering if it was the router, the modem, the chords, the power adapter/source or my computer. In the past, even with the tv box (tvpad) streaming the internet connections would never drop and speeds were still consistently strong-ish (able to game, surf, download-non P2P etc); that was until the two weeks; now I'd lose connection extremely momentarily but reconnect even without the streaming (MSN would log off but reconnect, pages would stop loading etc). I've done numerous disconnects, resets, and power cycles, swapped cords and nothing has worked. Speeds would also be extremely erratic, sometimes normal but mostly slow/laggy .Speedtest.net results were irregular... on good days (4.0-5.3mbps/600kbps) but then have horrid momentary dips (sub 1mpbs/150kbps)... ping was consistent though usually around10-20ms range).

Thinking it was perhaps the modem or the ISP, I spent over an hour on the phone with the ISP tech. We did several line tests and speedtests with both the laptop and desktops directly connected to the modem; that showed strong signal and great speeds (10-15ms ping, just over 5mbps and under 700kbps consistently). Surfing the net and what not was smooth. My ISP provider does not provide support for my router which is understandable since it's not something that they sell but the tech was more than helpful; perhaps even overstepping what he's allowed to help customers with. After I hung up, I factory resetted the router and reconnected it to the modem,but it became same old; irregular download speeds with dips and lags (both the laptop and desktop). I was able to surf and what not for a bit but I would still get a dropped connection every so often. The other nite, monitoring the router on 192.168.1.1 and it seems like every so often the wan ip would change; does not seem like it's holding onto the ip and the router seems to be picking up a new ip every once in a while. On the other hand, when plugged in the tvbox and tried streaming with it, it ran ever so smoothly; no buffering, consistent data transfer and blinking lights. I'd still be able to surf slowly (not at crippling speeds) but this was never a problem in the past.

Does this seem to be a router problem (wear and tear?! Did the tvpad/tvbox cripple the router? it seems like the router has been 'trained' to give the tvpad/tvbox nice connections?

Specs: Tp-link TD-8816 modem (bridge mode) > Linksys wrt54g v3 router(running DD-WRT v24-sp2 firmware; PPPoE; pretty much everything is default settings except for the wlan setup) > to Win 7laptop (wired and wireless) , Win 7 desktop (wired), and a tv box for streaming (wired). Internet & Speed: DSL 6mbps/800kbps

The other nite, monitoring the router on 192.168.1.1 and it seems like every so often the wan ip would change; does not seem like it's holding onto the ip and the router seems to be picking up a new ip every once in a while. On the other hand, when plugged in the tvbox and tried streaming with it, it ran ever so smoothly; no buffering, consistent data transfer and blinking lights.
WAN ip changes will mess with streaming and disconnects for sure. Look in your router, WAN side (or Connection Status), and take note of the LEASE Obtain/Expires. Then attempt to look into the MODEM for Obtain/Expires.

My NetGear has Obtained 12:55;56, Sunday (of last week) and Expires 23:12:59 Sunday (of this week)

I'm not even sure I'm looking at the right place ...or for the right thing to be quite honest... I definitely have knowledge gaps here and there..

In my router interface I can see that I have DHCP server enabled with a client lease time of 1440 minutes/24 hours.
When I access the router status...it says that my router has been up for 1:09 (an hour and nine minutes)... I access the WAN status in the router interface and it says I have an connection uptime of 17 minutes only....so I'm guessing that at some point, something went down and restarted.
The only way I know how to access the modem is to have my comp directly wired to it, will try to get into it later, to see where it is.

After some googling, I also looked at the lease for my own laptop... clicked on my Local Area Connection status-> details... and saw that the lease obtained was Thursday November 15, 2012 3:35pm ... and is set to expire Friday, November 16, 2012 6:35pm. A bit of a head scratcher... I thought lease times were 24 hours... I disabled my connection then re-enabled it... and now it's back to normal... Obtained Thursday November 15, 2012 8:42pm; Expires Friday, November 16, 2012 8:42pm... so exactly 24 hours..

Back