Router problem: can't get an ip

Hey, I m having a big problem with my router.
I use a wa3002g4 utstarcom router. An year ago everything worked fine.

Now, my pc fails to get an ip adress even though dhcp is enabled. When I manually assign an ip, it connects and I am able to 'ping' as well. But, I still cant connect to router's login page or internet. If I connect using wifi it shows 'Limited or no connectivity'. Please help.

Try a manual reset. There should be a reset button on the router. This will load factory defaults and allow you to start fresh. If this fails, your device is likely bad.

Edit: BTW I am experiencing the same thing to an extent because of bad service. The bad service is somehow creating chaos with my network. The network functions more smoothly with the ISP connection disconnected. You can try disconnecting your ISP cable and check your network settings without ISP first.

Edit: BTW I am experiencing the same thing to an extent because of bad service. The bad service is somehow creating chaos with my network. The network functions more smoothly with the ISP connection disconnected. You can try disconnecting your ISP cable and check your network settings without ISP first.
Technically, this is quite impossible, so could you clarify what you mean? Whether the pc is wired or wifi connected to the router, the ISP connection on the WAN side is required. The ONLY what this might work is to wifi connect to some other near-by, open router, like a hotspot or the next door neighbor

Technically, this is quite impossible
I would have thought so, but! For some reason (I can't explain how) my ISP connection is effecting my local network. If I disconnect the Cable Internet connection, my local network works as it is supposed to.

Just two days ago our cable modem was replaced with a wireless modem/router and 4 port switch combo. The ***** technicians left our house as if the service was fixed. Our 10MB download rates remain less than 1MB, and we are still experiencing local network issues (which suggest the modem was not the trouble). That is until the cable connection is removed from the router. This is an issue we have been complaining and reporting for the last 6 months. I have absolutely no idea as to how to get the issue fixed. What else can you do, if the technicians don't fix anything when you call them? The issue has been so bad, I've had trouble keeping static addresses assigned on all the devices, while trying to keep them connected. Every time we turn around Windows is performing a repair and changing to a public connection instead of home (this resets the static IP configuration).

Here is an observation I witnessed. My wireless connection rate with the router was floating between 1Mbps to 35Mbps. After disconnecting the cable connection from the modem, my wireless connection rate goes back up to 150(modem is capable of 300). Once I connect the cable back to the modem, my wireless rates drop back to nothing. My previous router has been turned into an access point and maintains 150Mbps, but has issues communicating with the router while the disruptive connection is in place.

My issue may or may not be related. I can't say for sure, but thought it worth mentioning since it seemed similar.

I'll have to get to you ... got to run, but like to say

the WAN side gives you the Internet via your ISP.

Your LAN side gives you just that - - all your devices,

when setup correctly, the lan devices see each other,
and route thru the router to the ISP
where they all get browsing and email support.

Yes I know but that doesn't explain why connecting the WAN slows performance of the LAN. I always thought the bridge between the two would protect one from the other, but that is not what I have been experiencing.

Please don't think I am referring to browsing and email when I say LAN. When I say LAN I mean local area network, anything you can do without Internet. And until recently I've never had to deal with LAN performance issues caused by a WAN connection. Probably irrelevant but then I recently (as of Sept or Oct last year) switched to cable instead of DSL.

[qoute]Please don't think I am referring to browsing and email when I say LAN.[/quote] I did not.
Let's do two tests:
  1. disconnect the WAN and then use ipconfig to get the pc address (save it)
  2. connect to the wan, wait 30 seconds and repeat
Are they the same or different?

Finally I got everything right. I used backtrack to use a specific gateway 192.168.1.1 which was different earlier. Then I removed all default settings. I created new settings and configured dhcp. Now, everything is fine

Back