Router problem

By Prevs
Aug 9, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. this evening when I tried to connect to he net I got the page could not be found screen. Im using a wirless connection and the connebt said the sinal strngth was good. When I chaecked the router though the adsl setting had been reset and dhcp was set to on, I use static ip's and thats what i had set it to. Acouple of days ago I set up port forwarding could my router have been hacked or is that unlikely.
  2. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

you did change the default password in router???
    I have never been hacked through here but I have been attacked
    make sure upnp is not set to on any of the options
    reset your router if it does it again update the bios--oops meant firmware
    could be the router is going bad ,
  3. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

Routers do "forget" all their settings sometimes.. Is it a Linksys WRT54G rev. 3.x by any chance you have there? :p

You can try updating the router firmware.
  4. mikescorpio81

mikescorpio81 Newcomer, in training Posts: 574

Why are you using static ip addresses? If its a small home network let the router hand out the ip addresses!
    Also, listen to Nodsu ... upgrade the firmware (especially if its a D-Link!). but remember to note your settings before hand and factory reset the router.
  5. Prevs

Prevs Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 67

I reset the password yesterday and it seems to be ok, I set static ip's because my wireless kept cutting out. A bit of googling told me to try static ip and disable some of the wirless conection properties, so I did and just left tcp/ip. I also removed the third party software that came with the wirless card and Havent had a problem since
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.