Router problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

treetops

I reset my router now my wireless laptop doesnt work. I reset it so It would go back to its original password. Since my cable company put a pass on it and lost it. Anyways I reset it and upgraded the firmware and I made it so I could host with war3. Both went fine. However when I went to my wireless laptop, it wouldnt connect to the internet. Im using a linksys wrt54g router. With the latest firmware. Im guessing I need to open a port, but I really dont know how. I dont want to try the trial and error method and have whole new set of problems.

What can I do?

Sounds to me like you have some type of password protection for your wireless network, and you laptop doesn't have the correct password. Have a look around your router settings page and look for wireless security.

Try process of elimination method

You have already done the basic and first steps...the firmware upgrade. The particular router is known for connectivity issues that are resolved by firmware upgrade. Please chk that firmware did take and showing latest level in router menus.

Does the router work with LAN ports. Kinda basic question....but you want to make sure that your router is getting an IP from the service provider.

Make sure that wireless on your laptop works. Try connecting your laptop to another wireless router. Or another laptop trying to connect to your wireless router.

Delete your wireless profile on laptop and create a new one so you are prompted for keys etc.

You can also try to set your router wide open for testing to see if works that way. Make sure that you secure it as soon as you are done testing !

Make sure that your wirless is setup correclty...not disabled etc ...and your configuration is correct....either you are using an app or using windows default..

Good luck

I figured it out i needed to refresh the laptops connection list. And then I connected the laptop to my router with the proper share key. I encrypted my router with wpa or whatever its called and changed my default pass.

Thanks for the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back