Router wont let me acess websites

Status
Not open for further replies.
I connect to my router which connects to a modem which then connects to my isp but my router stops me acessing web pages and i dont know how to stop it :S

my router is a dlink di524 rev c
my modem is a dlink dsl300g+ rev a
isp is aol

all help will be greatful :)

cheers

bob

what makes you think that it's your router? to make sure turn off your firewall for a very short time, then try. that way your firewall can be eliminated

yeah i tried that i tried pinging from the router and that timed out .... also i tried it with the computer im on now to acess the web so i know its not the computer

How about the ISP's connection? do they have any problems down their end?
All the necessary green lights on the modem are up and solid?
Have you set the DLink router to its correct WAN setting? (Dynamic/Static IP addresses, PPoPE, others etc)
Is it all websites or just a select few that you have trouble with?

The best way right now is to connect directly using the modem and testing that it works (the i.net). Then you can add the router to the mix and any other devices..

im connected at the moment via the moment to the isp and everything is fine. All websites i can't connect to it says ping timed out. which is strange because the router connects to the modem fine using the dynamic ip which is what i use to use anyway ( routers power supply was recently replaced due to the old one being buggered )

The router connects to the modem and the modem connecs to the isp. i thought it would have been something to do with not connecting to the modem but all is working so i dont know whats wroung the mtu is set at 1400 on the router erm running out of ideas what it could be now so :(

1400 is to low if dsl try 1492
go to dslreports.com and do tests check mss this helps set the mtu
http://www.internetweekly.org/llarrow/mtumss.html <--- here for mtu
www.speedguide.net/ < ----lots of help to set nic
check modem make sure it's not a combo modem router
if it is use bridging mode for the modem
set the nic's to static ip's ,don't worry bout the dns yet, can you access router
check router status for dns wan ip's should have good external numbers
your provider will give you help here ,if you don't see them try a reset ,small hole in back of router ,do a release /renew on router

i tried and still no luck i was told before that aol dosent take anything above 1400 and my connection is adsl

i am really stuck now i have no idea what the smeg is wroung like i said everything is more or less the same asit used to be but i lost the screen dumps of my settings :( but i think everything is set to how it was btw i use the router for wireless connection and i have disabled all security just to test and i am stil not having any luck getting to any site always says time out ping failed bah

What happens if you forgo the router the plug directly to the modem?

If your DSL requires a PPPOE login, set one up using the XP PPPOE dialer that comes with Windows. Here's the instructions:

Create a PPPoE client connection
You can install the PPPoE client just like you install any other dial-up networking connection. To create a PPPoE client connection, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network and Internet Connections.
  2. Click Network Connections, and then click Create a new connection in the Network Tasks pane.
  3. After the Network Connection Wizard starts, click Next.
  4. Click Connect to the Internet, and then click Next.
  5. Click Set up my connection manually, and then click Next.
  6. Click either Connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and password or Connect using a broadband connection that is always on.
  7. Type the Internet service provider (ISP) name that your ISP provided, and then click Next.
  8. Type the user name that the ISP provided.
  9. Type the password that the ISP provided.
  10. Type the password one more time to confirm it, and then click Next.
  11. Click Add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop.
  12. Click Finish to complete the wizard.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283070

i cant use pppoe i need to use pppoa which i use via my modem and connects faultless i wouldnt be talking to you now otherwise

Is your router a "router" (in that it has a WAN port and an IP address) or a switch? If its a router, you need to set-up a NAT rule inside the router that forwards local traffic to your modem.

EG: 192.168.1.0 - 10.1.1.1

That example is fairly straight forward. Your LAN address with a 0 at the end indicates and traffic coming from a class c 192.168.1.X subnet will be forwarded to device IP 10.1.1.1.

I hope you understand what im trying to say, as it is a little tricky. Check your topology also as you may need a crossover instead of CAT-5 cable.

If its a switch then there shouldn't be a problem. Switches will merely forward your traffic onward (providing you are in the same subnet as the modem).

If you need any help please reply back with where you are up to. :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back