Routers supplied by isp's

Status
Not open for further replies.
i live in spain and my isp is ya.com who supplied me with a wired router.I have now been given a telefonica wireless router and although my pc says it is correctly installed i cannot access the internet.Is this because each isp supplies dedicated routers?if so can i solve the problem by substituting ya.com's ip number in my wireless set up or can i just wire the ya.com router to the wireless router. any help would be appreciated

Is this a DSL or cable connection? I am not in Spain so be specific and I'll try to help.

Internet service is usually provided to customers with with routers that have registered MAC addresses. Your old router's MAC address is registered with your ISP so it works with their service. Your ISP doesn't know who is using the new router so they block service to the modem. You will have to call up your Internet Service Provider and tell them you have switched routers. They will then associate the new MAC address with you and permit Internet access to your router.

That is one possibility. Another possibility is that you need to tell the router to send your PPoE credentials to the ISP. That was what I was trying to think of earlier and I couldn't figure it out.

If you do not know how to get the new router to send the PPPoE info for your broadband connection, Check Out This Website!. This will set you up a connection with your ISP using the username and password they provided. If you feel that this is not the problem, give me the brand name and model number of both the new and old DSL routers.:grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back