TechSpot

Routers

By Ollie30001
May 2, 2004
  1. Hey, quick question about routers, i want a NON-wireless router to connect 2 computers to the internet and i was just wonderin if you can plug a phone into them as well to get 2 computers workin and a phone at the same time.

Thanks

2. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,094

Telephones generally use RJ11 connectors and can plug into a modem or walljack etc
    Routers use RJ45 connectors and plug into Ethernet cards,switches etc.
    If you want to use a spitter before connecting to your modem that will allow you to talk on the phone and surf the web.

3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Why would you want to plug a phone to a router? You are using dialup? Routers don't support dialup. You either need a dialup modem with ethernet interface (i have no idea if such things exist) or you have to use Windows ICS.

4. Nodsu

Heh.. Looking at the router specs from the other routers thread i found out that there are actually routers that support dialup.

5. Ollie30001

Ollie30001 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 144

Yall,
    No, i have broadband and i want to know if i can have both my computers connected to the internet and a phone workin at the same time while using a router to connect the 2 computers together. i know nothin about how it all works with routers and all, im now thinkin that do you have the broadband filter(that lets u connect 1 computer to the internet and talk at the same time) comin out of ur main wall outlet with 1 wire going to the phone and another one goin into the router?

Sounds about right....but u neva no......

6. OS samurai

OS samurai TS Rookie Posts: 159

do you have DSL?

7. Nodsu

Yes.

It doesn't matter what you connect to your DSL modem. As long as you have the filter installed, you can use the phone.

8. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

You can even use the phone without the filter, it just won't be a very clear conversation.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.