Rumor: Ultrathin 15-inch MacBook nearing production

By Jos
Oct 31, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. A few months ago we started hearing rumors that Apple was performing final tests on a 15-inch laptop that will come in slimmer than the existing 15-inch MacBook Pro model,…

Read the whole story
  2. Can't wait to not buy it
  3. RH00D

RH00D TechSpot Booster Posts: 373   +73

It only took one comment! Somehow I'm not surprised.

If you don't like Apple why did you even click on this article? Ever heard of the "a real tech enthusiast likes *all* tech" phrase before? (Don't take that too literally, I'm not saying you have to be in love with every company, just understand the underlying meaning.)
  4. Just consider the first comment as a dislike button and ignore it. You don't have a problem with people clicking the dislike button on youtube, right?
  5. Nima304

Nima304 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 246   +22

Made me laugh out loud. Thanks. :D
  6. I must admit I thought this was pretty funny, don't take it too seriously.
  7. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 872   +79

Apple: "Now introducing Super Ultra, Ultra MacBook Nano"

Buyer: "ohhh snaapp"
  8. In all honesty, we don't really have thin 3.7-4.2 lbs 15 inch laptops. Right now the 15 and 17 inch MacBook Pros aren't very appealing, esp. given their price. They don't come with SSDs. I'd take a 500-750GB hard drive for a 128GB SSD. I have a 2.5 inch USB 3.0 hard drive if I need more data.

But if Apple sells the lightest and thinnest 15 and 17 inch MacBooks similar to what the MacAir is today, with SSD standard, then I can start to see the premium a lot more justified.

Any company that continues to improve the portability aspect of laptops gets a + in my books. Even if I don't end buying an Apple, it will force competitors to make their 15 inch laptops that much better.
  9. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 902   +71

The thickness of a laptop is insignificant next to its performance to dollar value. I'd proudly take a thick high performing laptop with a good value than an under-preforming laptop with a high price-tag and thin edges.
  10. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

A "Guest" with reasoning powers... I am pleased to have witnessed this before my death.
  11. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

There you go. I fixed that for you.

While performance at the cost of size is agreeable to you, for some people it is not. Ever hear the phrase, "Fast. Good. Cheap... Pick any two."?

In this case it is "Performance. Portability. Cheap... Pick any two.".
  12. ihaveaname

ihaveaname TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 127

Then you're not really the sort of person Macs are made for. Mac's selling point was, is, and probably will be the prettiness factor, and I don't think they've really pretended otherwise.

And anyway, if you were hell bent upon getting best performance for your money, you'd buy a desktop. Laptops are bought for their portability; wanting more portability in a portable machine is completely valid.
  13. Mudvayne819

Mudvayne819 Newcomer, in training Posts: 41

there's no performance in laptops, when will people understand this. performance = power, you have no power on batteries... unless you plug the laptop in the wall. you want performance, buy a desktop, you want portable device, buy a lagtop. also laptop have a life cycle. 3-4 years and its done. and i know what im talking about, i work in an apple repair center, i repair apple stuff everyday, and we also fix PCs and lagtops. when u have a mac and dont have applecare, and something break, its usualy the end of your product life because replacing the logic board, lcd, casing or keyboard usually cost so much. its almost always cheaper just to buy a new one, with lastest techs, warranty,etc. i have 3 lagtops and 1 macbook pro and i bought them and repair them myself, ill never buy that new because they are none-reussable, they need to introduce lagtops with components just like desktop PCs, so when something break, you can use everything you have and switch some minor stuff. every company make their own stuff, and nothing is compatible whatsoever. logic boards should just be something you insert in your lagtop-box and here you go. that would be worth it. but nope this will never happen.

14. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,226   +328

Cannot slice bread yet - not thin enough by me, like'em apple or not ;)
  15. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd Newcomer, in training Posts: 555

@mudvayne819: Allot of people are choosing laptops over PC's these days, knowing this, companies price the cost of a new unit around or less then the price as repairing them, which is why they pump out new models in such frequency.

A thin, powerful and very capable laptop is very appealing to me, even if it is Apple :) I hate having to carry a heavy laptop, personally would sacrifice weight over performance, mainly because I don't need it. My usage is not that resource intensive
  16. "Can't wait to not buy it"

mwhahahah, enjoyed that +1

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.