Running Flashplayer on a PII under Win 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantrag

Hi, wasnt sure where to post this.. but here it is.
I'm running on a PII Klamath 233 @262.50mhz with 256mb pc100 ram with a bus speed of 75mhz (normally 66mhz stock). ram timings: 4-2-2-2 (tRAS, tRP, tRCD, CAS). A 3D prophet 32mb 4000XT (pci) for gfx. I know this is an old system but it runs win 2000 nice and RB3D xD (has been running NT for years; it's 10 years old now). I can watch movies with Mplayer (command line player) but streaming with Firefox does not work (IE is even worse). I know Divx webplayer won't work, but I can pause it while streaming and let it save to the hdd and open it in Mplayer. Flashplayer doesn't let me do this (youtube, google video, veoh,..), on most sites I can view it but the fps are far too low to watch. So I was wondering if there is a way to view these somehow (some optimizing or something) or find a way to download the streams to files from embedded players. I like pushing (old) hardware to it's limit and now it's even more then that as I'm stuck with this rusty girl until I get my main system back online. It's just frustrating to have to choose between; ftp, stage6 or torrent.

-Regards !

I'm the actual owner of PII 350MHZ and 3DFX VooDoo 3 3000 AGP 16MB.

Have you tried to overclock your video card?

Just tad bit should helps.

I understand that your PII is backup system, but you should grab more PC100 memory, as well as ATI Radeon 9200 graphics.

For those, it should costs you about 30 bucks or less at ebay.

Hope this tip helps.

EDITED=

I know PII runs on 33/66/100MHZ bus.

You can try to move your FSB to 100MHZ, so you can synchronize your PC-100 memories. Just a tip.

EDITED=

I forgot to tell you also.

You cannot overclock your video card very well, since it is running on the PCI.
PCI bus are limited to 33MHZ.
If you have a AGP, you can upgrade to ATI Radeon 9200, because it sports the AGP PRO / AGP 4X.

I have a rev 1 MS-6117 motherboard with no multiplier switches and a max bus of 75mhz (66/68/75) via jumpers. I have thought of getting another gfx board but that won't be for soon 2nd hand voodoo 2's were abit too much for what they were. My board also sports AGP 2X. I've oced my vard from 115mhz to 120mhz, they max out at around 120-122mhz (125 mhz crashed). I have 384mb of PC100 but i can only run 256mb (anymore and win2000 gives problems; mainly for Red baron 3D which runs ok in Direct Draw on this system..glide wrapper doesn't work). I know it would work with better hardware, but for the moment that isn't an option.. I should have asked about this alot earlier as my main system will be back online very soon but it's still nice knowing and would help for the moment. But I was looking for away to fix it software_wise, either by saving the streams onto a file which can be played via a local player or by some tweaking to the OS/firefox (also flashplayer low quality setting doesnt really change much). Maybe even by some compressing software (that compresses the stream data, but then again that would cost CPU time..I do know that you can do this to flashfiles but thats only if you have the file. thanks for the input anyways!

I understand.

Have you tried this?

Windows Update
Intel Chipset Update for Intel 440BX
DirectX 9.0C update

I have a nasty feeling that you haven't updated your DirectX, haven't you? ;)

Thanks for stopping by :)

*edit: please be more concise with the quote function*

Windows is updated
DX9c is installed (ran TORTUGA: PIRATES OF THE NEW WORLD on this pc, was a little slow but was playable; pIII 800mhz recommended.. this needed DX9c)
my board is a MS 6117 (microstar) 440LX chipset, I can't find an update for it found some documentation on one but that was for win95 and not for later windows. If anyone could links this update for windows 2000 it would be nice ^^

Might I add:

I was thinking along the lines of a 3rd party plugin/player or an app to download the file and then play it locally

Apparently, the intel deleted the chipset driver.

Oh well, there is only way to do this, but to upgrade your graphic card. If you are running PCI, i'm sure there is a fast and cheap PCI card out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back