Running Top Spin 2 on Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

iLag!!!!!

I recently got a copy of Top Spin 2, but I've been having problems getting it to work on windows 2000. My brother, who has XP, can run the game fine, other than it has a stuttering problem caused by his crappy graphics card.
So far, I've done everything I could.
I copied the entire disk to my computer So I could hack the msi installer and remove the windows version check. It installed fine.
Upon running the game, it said it was missing dlls. I downloaded the missing dlls and I copied them over to the Top Spin 2 directory.
Now, it says TraceMessage couldn't be found in ADVAPI32.DLL, so I hex-edited xinput1_1.dll, replacing TraceMessage wtih GetUserNameA.
Now, it's giving me a generic "you must have a newer version of windows to play this game" error. What I need is something that can make the game's exe think that I'm running Windows XP. I remember that there used to be a special wrapper pack located at win2kgaming.siteburg.com which could do exactly that, but that site went down. If anyone knows where I can get this or something like it, I'll give them my thanks.

Unrelated, but am I the only one who hates the "you need 5 posts to post links or images" feature?

Unrelated, but am I the only one who hates the "you need 5 posts to post links or images" feature?
No, lots of new members complain about it
But it is there to stop and control spam (This is just the reality of open forums, they can be subject to spam)
And it works, and it should remain

Regarding your issue
I do not believe it is in the legality of the Manufacture's game copyrights
You may need to confirm with them, and then quote their response (and link)

Until then I do not believe support should be offered on hacking programs or games

Regarding your issue
I do not believe it is in the legality of the Manufacture's game copyrights
You may need to confirm with them, and then quote their response (and link)

Until then I do not believe support should be offered on hacking programs or games
From what I understand from your post, you think that Per Hansson shouldn't have been allowed to make his fixes for running Bioshock and Crysis under windows 2000. All I'm trying to do is make Top Spin 2 run on windows 2000. That's the only hack I'm trying to make, and it's one that was allowed to be discussed on these very forums, although for different games.

I copied the entire disk to my computer So I could hack the msi installer

I don't think Per did that
I read those posts of Per's a long time ago
I saw that he was a gamer on 2000
But I don't believe he modified the game resource exactly (I could be wrong, as I haven't even checked the old thread, and I'm just going by memory)
Pretty sure he was playing with settings, and ini files (and alike)

You can quote him, if you feel I'm wrong

By the way you and Per are two different people
Per may have had rights

The msi is not part of the game's resources. It's only an installer, which puts the game's resources on your computer. I still have not touched any of the game's resources. Other than that, I've only downloaded dll files which were not present in Windows 2000 and used Per's xinput fix.
Also, modifying a game for your personal use, if I remember correctly, is perfectly legal.

Oh yes the MSI is just the package :eek:

Anyway, I've done lots of editting myself (edit is not the right word I know)
But, I still don't want to comment on how, and what, until Mods give me feedback

If anyone else replies that's cool too
I'll just sit back and watch

Presently neutral :)

Excuse Kim, he's like a loving overprotective parent... the topic is fine for discussion :).

Sorry about the 5 post limitation, too, it's one of those things we must impose to keep the boards clean.

Hopefully someone will be coming with a few suggestions soon, I'm pretty sure that you will be able to emulate XP on 2k, unfortunately I don't run either OS currently to offer any assistance.

Hi, I'm sorry that I am unable to provide much advice, but as you might have seen in the thread about hacking Crysis Warhead for Win2K my version of it never complain about the installer... (perhaps because I am using Win2K Adv Server)

About the issue you are having here, it sounds like some check that could be done from a INI file (like those stupid "IF NT5.0 THEN FAIL, IF NT5.1 THEN OK", and all you need to do to get it to work is ofcourse change it so NT5.0 is ok too..)

Then again it could very well be more elaborate, like in Crysis where the check lies in the game DLL's themselves
I am sorry I am unable to provide more advice than this...

It's definitely the more elaborate kind. I'm not getting any DLL errors, just a generic application error.
77485330gh4.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back