Ryzen 7 series get first price cut as we wait for Threadripper

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

Update (Jun 6): We've got an official word from AMD that these price cuts are not coming from them and are not directly tied to the upcoming launch of Ryzen Threadripper CPUs. AMD tells us the price reduction must be coming from partners/retailers adjusting their margins. With that said, the savings are real, so it's a consumer win either way.

The Ryzen 7 series of processors, which we tested and reviewed back in March, have received their first price reduction since release. The 1700, 1700X, and 1800X debuted at $330, $400, and $500. Now you can get your hands on the CPUs at Amazon and Newegg for about $300, $350 and $460, respectively.

Ryzen 7s are solid 8-core/16-thread CPUs featuring AMD’s XFR auto-boosting technology. The 1700 65W processor is rated at 3.0 GHz and boosts to 3.7 GHZ. The 1700X and 1800X both run a bit hotter with a 95W TDP rating and can self-overclock from 3.4 and 3.6 GHz to 3.8 and 4.0 GHz. Keep in mind that XFR boost only works if you have sufficient cooling.

It is yet unclear whether these are permanent drops or just promotional ones before AMD’s upcoming flagship Threadripper CPU, rumored to be called Ryzen 9 1998X, hits the streets. However considering both Newegg and Amazon are pricing the processors the same, this looks to come straight from AMD. If you have been eyeing a new Ryzen 7, now might be a good time to pick one up. The Wraith Spire cooler is included with the Ryzen 7 1700.

Permalink to story.

as we wait for Threadripper

What are we waiting for?

It is not a good writing, to give something in the title and then never mention it in the article itself, unless you are writing click baits.

It is assumed most of you know your stuff.

Honestly, I personally read a lot beside Techspot, and in 90% of cases I would have heard of things before I read Techspot. But it doesn't invalidate what I said about writing articles, doesn't matter if you are writing technical articles or a novel, that principle stays true.

No it doesn't. I'll give you that. I just felt it was kind of obvious/implied and you were nitpicking. Having that said, I've edited the story for clarity on that statement.

Julio, it's great that you do communicate with us readers on occasion and take all feedback into consideration no matter how trivial.

TechSpot is a great site and provides a lot of good content regularly, and for that reason TechSpot has been my homepage for about 8 years now.

No it doesn't. I'll give you that. I just felt it was kind of obvious/implied and you were nitpicking. Having that said, I've edited the story for clarity on that statement.

Julio, it's great that you do communicate with us readers on occasion and take all feedback into consideration no matter how trivial.

TechSpot is a great site and provides a lot of good content regularly, and for that reason TechSpot has been my homepage for about 8 years now.

Yep, IMO TechSpot is in the Top 3 for tech.

Ryzen was already the "best bang for your buck", after a price drop it solidifies that even further. Im anxious to see Intel answer the Ryzen threat. I love seeing AMD being competitive. Wether your an Intel fan or decide to give AMD a shot with Ryzen, it's going to be a win for consumers either way. These 2 companies are sinking millions of dollars into R&D to outpace the competition and produce a better product. We are going to end up with faster CPUs, more fps, a better overall experience, for a cheaper price. Win.

Yep, IMO TechSpot is in the Top 3 for tech.

Techspot is great for being a frontpage type of site. I prefer others (one that ends with 'report' and another that starts with 'anand') but they usually don't put out as much content. Many of the titles are click-bait but most other tech sites do that too. I get the sense that the writers are given a quota -- so often quantity is preferred over quality. So while I dislike the clickbait, the high volume is one of the reasons I come here first.

As mentioned, it's really nice to have Techspot staff add their opinions in the comments section. Julio in particular. It gives a strong impression that the people who work here really love the field.

Honestly, I personally read a lot beside Techspot, and in 90% of cases I would have heard of things before I read Techspot. But it doesn't invalidate what I said about writing articles, doesn't matter if you are writing technical articles or a novel, that principle stays true.
Maybe you need to get out more. Tech isn't the be all and end all of everything.

Maybe you need to get out more. Tech isn't the be all and end all of everything.

And I could be wrong, but the number of actual technical articles that are well written seems to be becoming less and less .....

What are we waiting for?
It is not a good writing, to give something in the title and then never mention it in the article itself, unless you are writing click baits.
We write for tech enthusiasts. It is assumed most of you know your stuff. On our homepage we've had Core X/Threadripper related headlines the entire week.
Have you read some of the comments on techspot's forum, don't assume anything...

What are we waiting for?
We write for tech enthusiasts. It is assumed most of you know your stuff. On our homepage we've had Core X/Threadripper related headlines the entire week.
Have you read some of the comments on techspot's forum, don't assume anything...

The vast majority of traffic to this site (or any other for that matter) doesn't post comments. TS knows its audience.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are we waiting for?

The vast majority of traffic to this site (or any other for that matter) doesn't post comments. TS knows its audience.

Yeah exactly, you have to be very careful when listening to that vocal minority. The good news is most of you guys do a good job of helping us delivering better content.

I still waiting for the mini itx AM4 boards... I put some money on an SilverStone RVZ02, won't get away from mini itx just to get to Ryzen. AMD should work to bring mini itx AM4 boards faster...

I still waiting for the mini itx AM4 boards... I put some money on an SilverStone RVZ02, won't get away from mini itx just to get to Ryzen. AMD should work to bring mini itx AM4 boards faster...
There should be a few mini-atx launching soon (biostar already has one on the market)

There should be a few mini-atx launching soon (biostar already has one on the market)

They seem out of stock in USA online retailers. I live in Brasil, so it's even worse, here there were no sign of it. I even gave up on it... My 6400/H110 combo still rock enough. My GTX 1060 is churnning out 100+ FPs on Heroes of The Storm, so any Ryzen would end up being overkill for my main use...

Perhaps the next Ryzen gen will arrive in a time AM4 will be better represented in the mini ITX field.

Update (Jun 6): We've got an official word from AMD that these price cuts are not coming from them and are not directly tied to the upcoming launch of Ryzen Threadripper CPUs. AMD tells us the price reduction must be coming from partners/retailers adjusting their margins. With that said, the savings are real, so it's a consumer win either way.

Or it might just be that AMD is letting their partners look good in an attempt to please them. I don't see how all partners would suddenly have such big price cuts without AMD doing something to make it possible.

Or it might just be that AMD is letting their partners look good in an attempt to please them. I don't see how all partners would suddenly have such big price cuts without AMD doing something to make it possible.

Or perhaps their partners already know the MSRP of the Ryzen 9 CPU's and are already aligning the smaller Ryzens accordingly...

Back