Safe computing with Win XP

jwazevedo

I have an Eee PC notebook computer running Win XP. I use this computer only to listen to a specific radio program over the Internet, via a wireless router in my home. With the cessation of support for XP, I imagine this computer will be increasingly vulnerable to external threats. I have two questions:
1. Are there ways to minimize the risk of external threats?
2. Should this computer be compromised, would other computers on my home network (both of which run Win 7) be at risk as well. In other words, would this XP computer serve as a "portal" for malware?

Thank you,
Jerry

Run a good anti virus and spyware program. Plus a good firewall. There are still a few antivirus and spyware programs that will support XP for a while. AS far as the win 7 computers if you are running a good virus program in the plus their firewalls and spyware programs. They should be fine.

I prefer free security software but will consider paying a subscription for AV programs geared to give extra security to XP systems. It's a fine OS and many will remain reluctant to leave it. I won't be using Internet Explorer which is stuck at an oudated version for XP systems and likely to be a vulnerable point. It's only needed for Windows updates and Microsoft are ending those.

Look for an A/V which will scan incoming Email and Webpage links which you click.

I have moved to AVAST! Free for these features, but not sure it still supports XP.

On the question on contaminating other systems on your Lan;
This is normally done (ie infect other local systems) using File Shares.

It is possible to configure the Shares (where the real folders exist) such that your XP system only has R/O access and thus keep immune from the condition on XP itself.

Thanks for the tips. I'll check this out.

By the way, AVAST! claims that their free A/V will support XP for at least three years.

Best,
Jerry

Back