Safe Mode not Happening - Must find a solution!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordzen

I have been trying to log into safe mode so that i can run HijackThis in accordance with the rules I read in the thread on this forum....

but when i click F8 the boot up hangs whilst trying to load the drivers.

I did a search and found a couple of other people who also have had this problem - but no indication of how the problem should be solved...

I checked out the last driver in the list before it hangs and its AGP440

(full path, C:\WINDOWS\syetm32\drivers\AGP440)

Is this the display driver, AGP being the slot where the graphics card is located? I am using an ASUS (Radeon 9600se) graphics card, if that has anything to do with it... I reinstalled Asus drivers (also the AGP Gart driver) just to make sure but that hasn't made a difference...

Can anyone offer advice!?

NEVER use F8 before Windows XP! run MSCONFIG under Start\Run and click on boot tab, and click on safeboot box.

you will need administrator password or user name to get in your c: drive to hijack this.

Lucan

Agree with poertner_1274

poertner_1274 said:
What is so wrong with this? I have never once had an issue with it.

I second that. I've used F8 with XP Pro many times. Please explain why I shouldn't.

Thanks.

....ok.... :confused:

so should i follow ths advice of accessing SM thru MSCONFIG?

If yes, once i tick the Safe Boot box what do I do? click APPLY, OK, something else? - I'm not gonna kill my computer this way am I?

As soon as I get the go ahead from someone knowledgeable I'll try it and let you know if I had a better result than by going the F8 path....

so....what should i do?

Explain your steps taken...

Jordzen,

While your computer is booting, before the windows logo appears, have you hit F8 AND got a menu of options? The options will look like the attached picture.

XPmenu.gif

There is absolutely nothing wrong with hitting F8 during boot up, I am still curious what bushwhacker is talking about?!?!

I would do it by pressing F8, since I know that will work, I have never tried doing it through msconfig.

Lastly if you don't get to see the screen above, that just means you missed your opportunity and windows will boot normally. You'll just have to restart and do it all over again.

I click F8 - I get the options - I select Safe Mode - and then it starts booting up the drivers but it then hangs on AGP440 and I have to reset...

If you do a Google search for AGP440.sys You will find loads of info for it ranging from reformatting to altering the registry and most probably everything inbetween.

Apparently doing a bios upgrade and reinstalling your mobo drivers can sometimes fix this?

Maybe doing a Windows repair as per this thread HERE will help?

Regards Howard :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back