Safe to adjust the memory voltage to 2.2 volts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I just built a computer off an MSI K9NBPM2-FID. Straight to the point, I want to know if it's safe to raise the memory settings in my BIOS from 1.9v to 2.2v. The BIOS (AMI v2.59) gives me the following warnings for the different settings it offers:

1.8v - "default"
1.85v ~ 1.95v - "safe settings"
2.0v ~ 2.15v - "high-performance settings"
2.2v ~2.3v - "not recommended settings, system may be unstable"

When I first built the computer and turned it on it was set to 1.9v.

I've been using the computer for a few days now at 1.9v and I've always been getting a beep when I turn it on. First it was one short beep, then a day later it was 2 short beeps or 3 short beeps. Now, it's constantly 2 short beeps at start-up. I wonder if this has anything to do with the memory voltage?

the computer performs fine, memory shows fine and i ran MEMTEST-86 and passed.

I have the following dual-channel memory, both rated at 2.2v by the manufacturer:

2 x Patriot 1GB - PDC22G6400LLK
2 x Patriot 512MB - PDC21G6400LLK

An excerpt from the website regarding the board's memory:

" Supports 1.8v DDR2 SDRAM DIMM

Due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system configurations may or may not operate smoothly at the JEDEC standard settings (BIOS Default on the motherboard) such as DDR2 voltage, memory speeds and memory timing. Please confirm and adjust your memory setting in the BIOS accordingly for better system stability.
Example: Kingston HyperX DDR2-800 PC-6400 operates at 2.0V, 4-4-4-12. "

Thanks for your help in advance!

It looks like 2 volts (or a littlte higher) may be stable. Why tempt fate. I know it's in the overclocker's blood but it can be expensive. Beeps @ startup are usually a memory warning. There is a code for the beeps (Google that).

messing with memory voltage is asking for trouble. unless you have some purpose in mind and know exactly what you're trying to do- DON'T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back