Samsung achieves record download speeds in 5G wireless testing

Shawn Knight

Staff member

samsung gbps wireless 5g download speed

As wireless carriers around the globe continue their 4G LTE rollout, researchers and industry heavyweights have already turned their attention to next generation wireless implementations.

Samsung’s research and development arm, for example, created its 5G mobile wireless technology well over a year ago and have been testing and optimizing it ever since. The company recently put it to the test and achieved what it calls an industry-best speed record.

In a stationary environment, Samsung clocked 7.5Gbps, or 940MB per second, which is the fastest-ever 5G stationary data transmission rate. In a mobile environment (a vehicle traveling at over 100km/h or a little over 62 MPH), the team was able to achieve an uninterrupted and stable connection of 1.2Gbps, or 150MB per second.

Both tests were conducted over a 28GHz 5G network. As Samsung points out, the industry as a whole has avoided higher frequencies such as 28GHz despite speed-related benefits due to range limitations. The Korean tech giant has been able to overcome this, however by using their own Hybrid Adaptive Array Technology which uses millimeter wave frequency bands to enable the use of higher frequencies over greater distances.

In a statement on the matter, ChangYeong Kim, Head of DMC R&D Center at Samsung Electronics, said they will continue to build upon these milestones and develop advanced technologies that contribute to the 5G standard.

It’s no doubt impressive work but realistically, consumer 5G wireless implementations are still several years away.

Permalink to story.

Wake me up when they show these speeds outside of a lab setting and inside a real house with numerous walls.

How far? Distance between ? Who were they sending all the Ed Snowden documents to ?
Fast speeds indeed. Will we be able to ditch cables at home though once routers have this ?
Will we still have issues from Microwave ovens, Cell phones, Old Tech, Neighbours gadgets?

This would require full usage of USB 3.1 to deliver data to the PC.

I would really be happy to dump my cable provider, but all this tech isn't feasible for the mass market. Perhaps by 2020 or something... Here in Ireland we are still on 3G, mostly, and in many places the speed drops to 2G.

Controlled test environment conditions are not the same as your home or office. 2G, 3G, 4G, 4G LTE roughly slightly better than the other 3. 5G might be slightly better than 4G LTE. So the new Buzz word will be 5G and everything 5G.

Introducing the iPhone 7 5G - I can see the marketing already despite only being available in a lab...

There are things more important then speed... I'm so tired of **** cellular coverage and they continue to develop technologies that will put network development focus squarely back onto the top markets.

Back