Samsung Galaxy S7 teardown reveals underwhelming small heatpipe cooler

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Samsung hasn't shied away from talking up the heatpipe cooling technology in its new Galaxy S7 series smartphones. We've more or less been led to believe that this heatpipe cooling system was an integral part of the device and while it does exist and it does do what it is designed to do, it's rather underwhelming in the flesh.

The teardown team at iFixit recently got their hands on a Galaxy S7 and have published their findings for all to see.

Aside from the heatpipe (which we will get to shortly), the major takeaways here include the fact that many components are modular and can be replaced independently and that the battery can be removed without first having to take out the motherboard. Unfortunately, the display needs to be removed (and likely destroyed) to replace the USB port while front and back glass make for double the crackability. What's more, replacing the glass without destroying the display is probably impossible.

As it turns out, the heatpipe we've heard so much about is far less dramatic than one might think. iFixit described it as "teeny" which seems fitting when you consider it measures less than half a millimeter thick and is composed of less than half a gram of material. Nevertheless, it does appear to be functional, helping to transfer heat from the device's various chips (including the Qualcomm Snapdragon 820) to the phone's midframe.

All things considered, iFixit awarded the Samsung Galaxy S7 a repairability score of three out of 10 (the higher the number, the easier it is to repair).

All images courtesy iFixit

Permalink to story.

Well what did they expect? A custom liquid cooling loop complete with reservoir, 360 mm radiator, waterblock, pump and variable speed fans in push/pull config?.. Not to mention the color of the liquid dyed to match the color of the device...
Given the price of that thing, it's the least I'd expect. ;)

Last edited:
Indeed, a little thicker to benefit us all.

I have the phone, arrived yesterday (upgraded from S4) and it's great so far. However it's OctoCore so I doubt it will get CM support anytime soon #wrists

Indeed, a little thicker to benefit us all.

I have the phone, arrived yesterday (upgraded from S4) and it's great so far. However it's OctoCore so I doubt it will get CM support anytime soon #wrists

Curious which country are you in? The octocore is to be in asia and a lot of europe including the UK, but the quad core snapdragon variant is likely to be in the US (and a few other European countries).

Curious which country are you in? The octocore is to be in asia and a lot of europe including the UK, but the quad core snapdragon variant is likely to be in the US (and a few other European countries).

UK here. I wanted the Quad Core for once so I can hit up CM but oh well. Could have waited for the more supported and fine tuned Note 6 but too much impatience.

Sure they could male it huge and try to sell a phone the size of the old 80's bricks, but no one will buy it. It isn't a PC.

The phone is fairly thin already, I think increase of 1mm to accommodate a better/bigger heatpipe wouldn't be much of a problem to be honest. However right now it's a perfect sweet spot in terms of screen to border size, weight and size in general.

Heat pipes, coolers...all so people can have the "fastest" phone, which isn't needed in the first place.
Hey, that business model still works, but how long until consumers are going to tire of the same old
same old, that is 2-3-4% faster than last years "flagship" that is over priced for what you get.
The entire smartphone market is stuck in a rut. Unless you are into running 4,5 benchmark programs
all the time, trying to squeeze 0.2% more than the next guy, or place the most graphic intensive games,
what's the point?
90% of the consumers just twitter, FB, instagram, web, youtube, mp3, text. You don't "need" a mainframe
computer, to play tic-tac-toe. I've got a snapdraon 400 powered phone for the last two years and it is
smooth, no lag, stable, doesn't get hot and has great battery life, and cost less than HALF of these overpriced fashion statement phones. I just don't get wasting your money year after year on these
things, but, it's not my money.

Shawn, it should say, 'underwhelmingly small'

Samsung hasn't shied away from talking up the heatpipe cooling technology in its new Galaxy S7 series smartphones. We've more or less been led to believe that this heatpipe cooling system was an integral part of the device and while it does exist and it does do what it is designed to do, it's rather underwhelming in the flesh.

The teardown team at iFixit recently got their hands on a Galaxy S7 and have published their findings for all to see.

Aside from the heatpipe (which we will get to shortly), the major takeaways here include the fact that many components are modular and can be replaced independently and that the battery can be removed without first having to take out the motherboard. Unfortunately, the display needs to be removed (and likely destroyed) to replace the USB port while front and back glass make for double the crackability. What's more, replacing the glass without destroying the display is probably impossible.

As it turns out, the heatpipe we've heard so much about is far less dramatic than one might think. iFixit described it as "teeny" which seems fitting when you consider it measures less than half a millimeter thick and is composed of less than half a gram of material. Nevertheless, it does appear to be functional, helping to transfer heat from the device's various chips (including the Qualcomm Snapdragon 820) to the phone's midframe.

All things considered, iFixit awarded the Samsung Galaxy S7 a repairability score of three out of 10 (the higher the number, the easier it is to repair).

All images courtesy iFixit

Permalink to story.

Back