Samsung has sold 11 million Galaxy S5 handsets since early April launch

Shawn Knight

Staff member

samsung galaxy s5 smartphone sales

Samsung’s Galaxy S5 may not have been the revolutionary, game-changing device that many had hoped for but that’s seemingly done little to curb its appeal. An analysis of sales after just one month on the market reveal the new flagship is outpacing the Galaxy S4 by 10 percent.

According to Samsung mobile chief J.K. Shin, the company has sold more than 11 million units since its early April debut. He said sales are especially good in developed markets such as the US, Australia and Germany, crediting stronger sales to better carrier agreements, offering it in more countries from the start and expanding its presence within retail outlets like Best Buy.

For comparison, the model it replaces sold an impressive 10 million handsets during its first month of availability last year.

It is good news for Samsung as a number of analysts and investors likely didn’t expect such solid performance. The company has been facing increased competition from newcomers out of China selling cheaper phones. In fact, Samsung lost market share in Q1 for the first time in four years and saw profits decline over the past two quarters.

That said, Samsung is expected to improve revenues in the second quarter thanks to the Galaxy S5. The company is also planning to roll out variations of the S5 over the coming months in order to sustain sales momentum.

Permalink to story.

I say hurry up and develop phones with the flexible LED screens you came up with!

I say hurry up and release S5 mini! ;)

I say don't bother they aren't like Sony compact where spec matches the larger devices. Save up and get the real deal

I say hurry up and release premium version of S5!

I doubt these rumours are true tbh, no way would they release a premium model a few months after they release a flag ship device pissing off 11 million customers. The rumours that are out are either for a totally new range of phones, the note4 or even the Galaxy S6.

I'm hoping that the iphone 6 will be a game changer

If they released a model with 5"+ screen, 2k resolution and something that no one else has done they could be onto as winner. But if they follow tradition and just bring out an identical phone then they may very well fail.

I say hurry up and develop phones with the flexible LED screens you came up with!

There isn't really a practical application/market for them imo

The S5 is an awesome phone.

Sure is, I have one it has it's flaws but all phones have pros and cons

Back