Samsung HDDs reach 1TB per platter areal density

Jos

Staff

Samsung has announced a new breakthrough in HDD areal density, pushing up to one terabyte of data per platter in a new line of drives being shown off at this year's CeBIT convention in Hanover, Germany. The company demonstrated a 3.5-inch two-terabyte, two-platter model during the event that will launch as part of its Spinpoint EcoGreen series of drives featuring 5400RPM spindle speeds, 32MB of cache and SATA 6Gbps connectivity.

The achievement will eventually lead to lower cost, high-speed 3TB and 4TB models. But the bump in platter densities isn't just for desktop class drives, as Samsung is also showing 1TB 2.5-inch HDDs for laptops, which integrate two 500GB platters along a 8MB cache and 3Gbps SATA interface. The upshot is that this new drive will be standard-sized for compatibility with most laptops rather than 12.5mm tall as last year's model.

The 1TB notebook drive could debut as early as April, according to reports, while an estimated launch date or price for the newest member of Samsung's Spinpoint EcoGreen (5400 RPM) desktop series remains unknown.

Permalink to story.

yeeeeeeeeeeeeessssss. Now my dream would be half height one platter 7200RPM 1TB drives like they had in the older days (the half height drives, not the 1 TB drives). Talk about drive density while having less data at risk per drive. The 2.5" 1TB is nice too, but a halfheight 3.5" would be faster. =3

dcrosenthal said:
I agree... Wonder when SDD will ever go down...

They will, but while we have the "more speed" hysteria it will go soooooo slow, i had been happy since they got to 200MB/S since its not only the read/write speed increase, but also the huge improve in those time seeks and not less important the noise elimination!. Even if they had a 50MB read/write speed like most of the standard HDD's its a huge improvement on time seeks and the "lag" when you are multi reading/writing or when Windows decides to do who knows what in the background (specially when you are playing >.>), so yeah it sux to have to wait >:\

Wasn't it just a few months ago that Western Digital reached 500GBs per platter? We could see a comeback for HDDs in general.

It's something to keep us going while SSDs improve. :)

I think they complement them very well even when you do have one.

I've just invested in a Samsung Spinpoint F4, 2TB to use for media storage. I haven't actually made any effort to record transfer speeds whilst in use, but it seems very impressive so far. I'll definitely be ordering a couple more once I have another SSD to use for Linux. Even for those of us with an SSD, we still need big disks for file storage - the traditionally smaller sizes due to cost mean you need somewhere else to store your data, and even apps in some cases.

Wasn't it just a few months ago that Western Digital reached 500GBs per platter? We could see a comeback for HDDs in general.

Mechanical disks are here for a few years to come yet. With the way media is ever increasing (and files sizes along with it), there isn't going to be a more cost effective solution for multi-terabyte storage for the forseeable future.

SSD's are more performance or enthusiast/gaming orientated, besides losing the moving parts (thus making them silent) they have no use in the average users computer, where the additional speed goes to waste - I paid £59 delivered for my 2TB Samsung SpinPoint F4 a week or so ago, whereas the SSD I was considering (OCZ Vertex 2E) cost £130 ish for only 90GB.

With those prices it has no comeback to make, it hasn't gone anywhere in the first place!

Back