Samsung intros Galaxy Mega 5.8 and 6.3 phones, coming next month

By Matthew
Apr 11, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Confirming previous rumors, Samsung has announced its largest smartphones to date, the Galaxy Mega 5.8 and 6.3. With the latter spanning nearly an inch larger than the company's 5.5-inch Galaxy Note 2, the oversized touch devices straddle the line between...

Read more
  2. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,584   +489

Shameful abomination of a phone. Samsung, you lost it!
  3. Twixtea

Twixtea Newcomer, in training Posts: 87

What's the purpose of this if they don't fit in my pockets?
  4. This is just an experiment to see if the big screen sells over the specs. Don't get too worried everyone.
  5. Personally I my self never use phone for calling I rather use it to text and facebook and gps and well most of other things smart phone can offer. And jeans or jacket would fit that size of phone no problem so yeah personally I would prob like that big phone. (s3 owner)
  6. Sniped_Ash

Sniped_Ash Newcomer, in training Posts: 122   +34

Big is the new small!
  7. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,018   +683

Looks silly to me too, but that's what we said about the Note when it came out and it's been selling. I'd say this is for women because they can put it in a purse, and for men who feel the need to 'compensate' for something.
  8. ArthurZ

ArthurZ Newcomer, in training Posts: 79

It is aimed at other markets than North America or Europe, it is going to satisfy a consumer who does not want to have a tablet and a premium smartphone.
  9. Twixtea

Yea sure, assuming he has the means to carry the phone, ehm I mean phablet.
  10. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 384   +34

No 1920x1080 res? Ehh... no thanks, I'll pass.
  11. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,725   +874

I could see this being somewhat of a success if it had a 1080P screen and better overall specs. Also this isnt that much bigger than the Note 2 if you think about it. 5.5 inch vs 6.3, yeah the 6.3 may be a bit bigger in dimensions. But it also may have a screen expanding out to the edges and just a minor dimension increase.

12. dennis777

dennis777 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 274   +29

These will be good for my parents... big screen but not a tablet yet. time to replace their iphone
    I want one! make it two
  13. No 4k res? Ehh... no thanks, I'll pass.
  14. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,134   +172

For people who don't put phones in their pockets?
  15. Darth Shiv

Yeah me too... will wait for Note 3 and see how that shapes up.
  16. Twixtea

Who likes to carry a 6inch brick around in his hands? If you even can put your hands around that thing.
    Unless it's a she with a purse.
    Either way, I predict the target market for these products will be a minority of people compared to anything currently on the market, be it tablets or smartphones.
  17. ETF Soldier

ETF Soldier TechSpot Booster Posts: 279   +39

They should just make an affordable 4" screen for people with bad eyesight, this is getting a bit extreme. (Emphasis on the 'a bit')
    Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  18. Darth Shiv

I'm not judging... I've seen people who do.
  19. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,831   +706

4" is a nice size
  20. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,831   +706

If they're gonna be cheaper that the S4 then I can see them selling like hotcakes. I personally wouldn't buy one but if I got it for nothing...
  21. Twixtea

Ya, I know.
    Actually I'm the kind of guy who sold his PSP back in the days because I found that carrying around the PSP+my phone around wasn't worth it. And it's not like I could not take my phone with me, so I usually left the PSP at home.
    But yea, everyone is different.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.