Samsung is changing the Galaxy Note 5's internal design to fix the stuck S Pen issues

midian182

Staff member

In August last year, reports surfaced about a flaw in Samsung’s Galaxy Note 5 that could permanently disable some of the smartphone's functions. The problem came when users accidently inserted the device’s stylus into its slot the wrong way round; a mistake that was easier to make with the Note 5 as, unlike earlier models, the S Pen offered the same amount of resistance no matter which way it was replaced.

Those who did insert their stylus’ into the Note 5 the wrong way round would find that the S Pen would get stuck once it passed a certain point. It could be freed with a little force, but doing so would likely physically damage the handset, meaning it would no longer be able to detect whether or not the stylus was attached.

Initially, Samsung advised owners to “read the manual,” before adding extra instructions to the Note 5’s packaging. But it seems that the company has now issued a simple but effective solution for all new Note 5s.

First spotted by an anonymous Phandroid reader, the fix uses a piece of flexible plastic that covers an internal switch, acting as a ramp for the stylus. Now, instead of the incorrectly-inserted S Pen catching on the switch, the plastic will press it down as the thinner part of the stylus passes over it.

Samsung confirmed this design change to The Verge: "Samsung can confirm that the Note 5 internal S Pen mechanism has been changed to avoid the issue caused by inserting the S Pen incorrectly," said the company. "As always, we recommend following proper instructions for storing the S Pen."

While all new Note 5s will ship with this fix, Samsung not has said if it will be offering the solution to existing owners of the handset. So if you do currently own a Note 5, make sure you put the stylus back in the right way round.

Permalink to story.

While it's good news that they are doing something about this, it's ultimately the user's fault. Pay better attention to what you're doing with your expensive electronics and these things will not happen. Kudos to Samsung for actually taking measure to help prevent this though.

While it's good news that they are doing something about this, it's ultimately the user's fault. Pay better attention to what you're doing with your expensive electronics and these things will not happen. Kudos to Samsung for actually taking measure to help prevent this though.

Agree....lack of common sense on their part, does not constitute an emergency on my part.
I tell my long time customers that when they ROYALLY screw something up, and if it is the SECOND
time, they get charged! I'm all for giving someone the benefit of the doubt depending on the problem,
THE FIRST TIME.

Agree....lack of common sense on their part, does not constitute an emergency on my part.
I tell my long time customers that when they ROYALLY screw something up, and if it is the SECOND
time, they get charged! I'm all for giving someone the benefit of the doubt depending on the problem,
THE FIRST TIME.

Crazy thing about it is this will ultimately cost Samsung money because they have to alter their design of the phone arguably half way through it's yearly life cycle. I don't know how these things are assembled, but regardless, they have to ask an additional step to add this piece of plastic just because people aren't paying attention to what they're doing. It does say a lot about a company when they take measures to remedy an issue like this from their end, even though the issue isn't really on their end.

THE FIRST TIME.

Do either of you have kids?

THE FIRST TIME.

Do either of you have kids?
Why would you give your device to kids to play with anyway?

Those fools who've forced their pens in the wrong way would be better off with Apples stuff. You don't have to think, just pay.

You don't have to give them anything, they grab stuff and start playing with it. I'm referring to toddlers, primarily.
You're new to this fatherhood thing eh? Don't worry, it gets easier as time goes on. By time you have your 14th kid you'll be a past master at these things.

Back