Samsung refreshes Notebook 9 ultrabooks ahead of CES

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Samsung has decided not to wait until CES 2018 to refresh its Notebook 9 line. The South Korean electronics maker recently unveiled three new models featuring, among other amenities, Intel’s latest eighth-generation mobile processors.

The highlight is most certainly the Notebook 9 Pen which brings a “thoughtfully refined design” to the 2-in-1 PC. Constructed of a premium magnesium aluminum alloy called Metal12, the system features a 13.3-inch display operating at a resolution of 1,920 x 1,080 and is powered by a Core i7 chip alongside up to 16GB of RAM, a 512GB NVMe PCIe SSD and Intel HD graphics.

Similar to the Note 8, the Notebook 9 Pen utilizes Samsung’s S Pen stylus. It provides 4,096 levels of pressure sensitivity with a 0.7mm tip and tilt detection for a more natural writing and drawing experience. The S Pen isn’t battery powered so you never have to worry about it being dead.

Those who don’t have a use for the S Pen may want to look at Samsung’s two other Notebook 9 models.

Offered in your choice of 13.3-inch or 15-inch displays (both are 1,920 x 1,080), they include up to eighth-generation Intel Core i7 chips, 16GB of DDR4 RAM and 1TB of NVMe PCIe solid state storage. The larger 15-inch model can additionally be equipped with an Nvidia GeForce MX150 discrete graphics card. Both come packing a 75Wh battery in a silver / white color scheme and feature Windows Hello-capable cameras.

The fact that Samsung doesn't offer an upgrade option on the display is a bit disappointing although hopefully, pricing will reflect this omission.

Samsung’s updated Notebook 9 systems are launching in Korea this month and will make their US debut in January. No word yet on potential pricing.

Permalink to story.

Love the thin bezels, you might think that it should be the norm for a medium to high range laptop in 2017 but alas no. Also, I find as a very inspired design choice - that resolution for that particular screen size - no need to push it to 3-4k as some other manufacturers do, it is utterly retarded, some programs are not optimized for it, leaving you to stare at extremely tiny icons. Plus it drains the battery like there is no tomorrow.

Back