Samsung shows off prototype Galaxy Fold that looks straight out of Westworld

nanoguy

Staff member
Something to look forward to: Foldable devices may not be to everyone's taste, but they're slowly starting to capture the attention of tech enthusiasts, especially among the younger crowd. A newly-revealed prototype from Samsung leaves a lot to your imagination, but it also shows that the dream of a tri-fold smartphone is getting closer to becoming a reality.

Samsung is currently the undisputed king of foldable phones, and the young crowd is apparently so excited about the company's latest Galaxy Z Fold3 and Galaxy Z Flip3 that the company is having trouble handling the demand. So far, they've outsold both the Galaxy S21 and the Galaxy Note 20, which is no small feat.

However, as exciting as the new Galaxy Z foldables may be, companies are experimenting with multiple form factors that have yet to materialize in a commercial device. Recently, Samsung showcased a prototype foldable phone that looks strikingly similar to one of the exotic tri-fold concepts portrayed in the popular science fiction TV series Westworld.

The foldable device was on display at the International Meeting for Information Displays (IMID) 2021 in South Korea. As you can see in the video above, it draws a lot from the current Galaxy Z Fold design. While the prototype isn't actually shown folding, it can extend into a 7.2-inch tablet with an 18:9 aspect ratio and is proof the mock-up device that Samsung revealed in May is actually working.

Samsung is referring to this as a "multifoldable" device, and the prototype in question is called the Samsung Flex In & Out. We've already seen that the Korean tech giant is determined to bring foldable phones into the mainstream, so it will be interesting to see if this concept will be brought to market in the coming years.

Permalink to story.

I have to pass. One thing is innovation and another thing is making some crazy unnecessary expensive thing nobody needs.

This is pretty cool.
The Fold makes sense because it unfolds to a bigger screen, but the Flip confuses the heck out of me!

Foldables are cool and have come a long way. They're expensive but that's what people get for being early adopters. Having had an opportunity to play with a foldable I must say I'm excited for the tech but they're still a few generations away before I'll consider one as a daily driver.

Foldables are cool and have come a long way. They're expensive but that's what people get for being early adopters. Having had an opportunity to play with a foldable I must say I'm excited for the tech but they're still a few generations away before I'll consider one as a daily driver.

Yeah, I agree. I’d prefer a smaller phone that can flip/fold into something bigger for gaming or watching videos. I don’t need a giant phone to send a text or make a call. Hopefully we’ll see some different styles in the future.

If I want to have a tablet I buy a tablet for a more affordable price. Just too bulky as a phone.

Who would want one of these monstrosities? Says the same guy who said the same thing about mobile phones in the 80's, and touch-screens in cars 3 years ago.

Who would want one of these monstrosities? Says the same guy who said the same thing about mobile phones in the 80's, and touch-screens in cars 3 years ago.
I like innovation, and if the foldable phone had the same price as a regular phone, it would be a very attractive proposal. But with those prices, I have to pass. For that money I can buy something else more useful for me. A smartphone costing more than 1000 dollars is just ridiculous.

A good innovation they could investigate is "completely transparent" smartphones. If they can develop that and sell it for a reasonable price, I could surely buy it.

I don't think this stuff is aimed at the average peasant but the sort of people that paid an arm and leg for cell phones back in the 80s ie: the rich, and once the tech has matured the price will drop so the average pleb can buy it.

I have to pass. One thing is innovation and another thing is making some crazy unnecessary expensive thing nobody needs.
You could say the same thing about a Ferrari. No one "needs" one... but it will put a grin on your face every time you drive it (not that I would know).

Practicality is a good virtue, but if one can afford it, there's nothing wrong with having an extravagant toy or two. It makes life just a little bit sweeter.

Surely you would have a different attitude if you, say, won a large lottery? :)

Back