TechSpot

Samsung: Stanley Kubrick invented the tablet in "2001: A Space Odyssey"

By Shawn Knight
Aug 24, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. In one of the more interesting turn of events in the ongoing Apple versus Samsung patent infringement battle, Samsung’s defense team has introduced what they consider prior art that could…

Read the whole story

2. Panda218

Panda218 TS Maniac Posts: 287   +105

I'm really sick of this whole "Patent Wars" situation, but I'm cheering for Samsung.

3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,750   +1,105

An ipad is 9.5 inches by 7.3 inches... that's a ratio of 1.301. An 8.5 x11 sheet of paper is a ratio of 1.294. And yet Apple claims the patent because it's a computer, not paper.... nevermind common sense on the convenience of that shape.

I'm sick of it too, Panda.. it's pretty sad when companies rely on blocking a competitors product for silly reasons instead of competitive pricing or a better product etc.

4. siegristrm

siegristrm TS Rookie Posts: 49

I hate @pple

5. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Evangelist Posts: 954   +273

You sure it wasn't Star Trek? They had those pad things which are similar to tablets for ages... granted they never showed full color video or anything, but the idea of a portable data accessing device with the display being the primary component seen is still there.

6. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Evangelist Posts: 954   +273

Actually never mind... 1968... ok. :)

7. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

Hahahaha

At this rate William Gibson, Bruce Sterling, et al should just sue everybody in the IT industry today for stealing all of their ideas.

I know that in today's business climate you have to sue to some degree, but Apple's lawsuits of late have really been the whole grasping at straws variety.

There are genuine lawsuits when it comes to patented items or processes, but this whole "looks like our product" lawsuits are lame and pathetic.

If that's how things are, Summer's Eve should sue Steve Jobs as his actions are giving their product a bad name.

8. Hal´s solution to the halting problem? Kill the programmer.

9. bakape

bakape TS Enthusiast Posts: 123

Apple patented the golden ratio?! Wait till the lawyer of Pythagoras hears about this. :)

10. KG363

KG363 TS Guru Posts: 515   +9

LMAO

11. IAMTHESTIG is correct. Star Trek had devices that could be interpreted as tablets way back in 66. They had a couple big dorky lights on them and were shaped more like a wedge of cheese than modern tablets. But characters were seen to write on them with a modern looking stylus and presumably also read from them. Hey for that matter Star Trek invented the cell phone. At least the first use of such a device on tv that I recall.
    Come to think of it Robert A. Heinlein invented cell phones way back in the late 40's or early 50's in some of his early Juvenile fiction. He also invented the space federation, if memory serves. Also, one of the Star Trek episodes The Trouble With Tribbles was so close to an early Heinlein novel that they decided to ask Heinlein's permission before making the show. Looks like Roddenberry read Heinlein.

12. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,750   +1,105

You laugh... now we know why the iPod isn't a triangle.

13. SammyJames

SammyJames TS Enthusiast Posts: 167

Poor Kubrick. He must be spinning in his grave...

14. SammyJames

SammyJames TS Enthusiast Posts: 167

Yes -- you speak of "The Rolling Stones." Heinlein also credited "Pigs Is Pigs." There was a time in this world when people would just ASK PERMISSION -- or at least offer CREDIT for having done something first.

15. Also don't forget Star Trek TNG's PADDs. Those were entirely touch driven and look like small ipads

16. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd TS Rookie Posts: 555

Coming up with the idea of a tablet (Stanley Kubrik), well actually creating a prop for a movie, and actually making one (Apple) are 2 very different things IMO. Good tacit by Samsung, makes a mockery of Apple's claim, even though i think they have a case

17. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Guru Posts: 446   +17

Damn I hate when people comment on 2001 when they have absolutely no grasp on the content of the book or film :|…

18. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,379   +16

I'd imagine everything we have today in some shape or form is inspired by science fiction. I also think ST:TNG is the prime inspiration for a lot of things, even with older scifi having similar devices. In any case, someone better make a Holodeck in the next couple decades.

19. Stanley Kubrick was a genius

20. They're both wrong. Disney had them inside the "future" part of the geodesic dome ride at EPCOT years before. Anyone - baby boomers especially - remember?

21. It's not the tablets in 2001 that are inspirational: it's the table!