Samsung to invest $1.9 billion in mobile chip line, readies 20nm and 14nm production

By Jos
Jun 7, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. South Korean tech giant Samsung has announced plans to invest about $1.9 billion in building a new non-memory chip line to address booming demand for mobile processors. The new production...

Read the whole story
  2. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 431   +8

My thing is, how are they going to combat energy leakage? Intel does it with 3D Transistors but according to the tech world, all other companies won't have this for at least another 2-3 years.

Funny how this all works though. Shrinking your die size is definitely a way to help with heat and power consumption but what about other components? How about GPS? Last I remember that was something that ate up your phones power consumption? Did they ever improve that? How about trying to improve battery technology? What I'm saying is, the industry seems to adopt methods of improving the things that are closest/easiest to them. Which is reasonable from a business point of view.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.