TechSpot

Samsung to slap Windows Phone on Galaxy S4 hardware this April

By Scorpus
Apr 1, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. If you liked the look of last year's Galaxy S4 but prefer to run Windows Phone, Samsung might have something that'll interest you. According to The Verge, the upcoming Samsung Ativ SE - which we've seen in leaks before -...

Read more

2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424

This doesn't sound plausible, more like a genuine April's fool announcement.

Not only having different OS on the exact same hardware is unheard of, but for Microsoft it would be like a public announcement of dragging their feet behind Android, getting into some outdated hardware that Android is done with.

Hard to imagine how they would market something like this in a positive way. Therefore, I'm sceptical. After all this might be just a joke.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,558   +598

That should please the 4 people who are really interested. ;)

4. gamoniac

gamoniac TS Addict Posts: 293   +69

Not long ago (prior to Nokia 1520), the top WP runs on 2 core of Qualcomm, so 4-core Snapdragon 800 is still a big HW upgrade for most WP users. Besides, it is consensus that WP runs better than Android on similar HW specs. Due to its OS efficiency, HW supremacy matter less than it does on Android phones.

5. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Interesting how it took them this long to put Windows Phone OS on the S4 hardware.

6. ibenzawla

ibenzawla TS Rookie

A similar thought came to my mind the other day. I was actually looking at the new HTC and thought about the possibility of slapping Windows Phone 8 on it and how marvelous that would be.