Samsung's curved OLED TV with Multi-View gets $8,999 price tag

Shawn Knight

Staff member

samsung oled lg curved oled tv

Samsung will begin shipping their 55-inch curved OLED with Multi-View technology starting tomorrow for $8,999.99. That may seem like a hefty chunk of change to drop on a television (and it is) but it’s far better than the $15,000 price tag associated with the set just a couple of weeks ago.

During a press event in New York City earlier today, the company said better than expected yields allowed them to price the set under the $9,000 mark. At this price, Samsung executive vice president Joe Stinziano said it will appeal to customers who value picture quality while early adopters with sizable bank accounts will likely opt for 4K sets.

OLED televisions offer exceptional image quality with contrast that must be seen to be believed. Specifically, the blacks are nearly spot on as each pixel emits its own light and colors are vibrant and saturated as there isn’t a need for color filters.

A curved display is said to offer an improved viewing experience, at least in theory, as the viewer will be more immersed in the action. When sitting right in the center of the viewing area, pixels on the far left and right are said to be at the same distance to your eyes as those located in the middle of the screen.

But perhaps the most interesting aspect of Samsung’s new set is Multi-View, a technology that allows two different users to view two different programs at the same time using special active 3D glasses. Each set of glasses comes equipped with their own headphones to allow each viewer to tune in to their individual program.

Permalink to story.

OLED Pipe dream pricing.. Wait a few years for newer tech to drop this tech price down. 1080p selling cheap even for 50-inch LED/LCD for $349 over this past weekend. 4K out with their outrageous pricing but those that have that type of money are buying these sets.

It's worth it just for the MultiView! I can watch the cricket while my missus watches DIY makeover shows!

But how do both people hear their show? Headphones? Ew.

Something REALLY cool, would be if they dropped the 3D glasses and split the screen into 4 separate screens and let you watch up to 4 shows at once a la Back to the Future III. Every single and attached guy on the planet would buy a TV that could do that. This Multiview thing is garbage, and a waste of time and money IMO.

Imagine being able to pick what squares you want to watch your TV/videos, AND let you merge any two adjacent squares for a video, music, home security cameras, AND let you play a game at the same time. TV manufacturers should be working on that right now, not this crap. Go big or go home. OLED TV's are sick and I'll get one, but I won't get one with multiview that relies on glasses. This is a technology for guys that are super lovey dovey. Their is one remote for a reason. Oh god, imagine "kinect" on a tv that supports two or more people? LOL

OLED Pipe dream pricing.. Wait a few years for newer tech to drop this tech price down. 1080p selling cheap even for 50-inch LED/LCD for $349 over this past weekend. 4K out with their outrageous pricing but those that have that type of money are buying these sets.

You can also get a 40"+ 4K TV for under $1300us already. @30Hz... but still 4K.

There's no reason for this to be priced lower. Their standard LED LCD 1080 panels haven't dropped a cent since the release of 4K.

OLEDs are still a work in progress and are so expensive to use. I am not surprised by the price.

I could swear the image posted, looks as if it is a flat TV behind a curved glass. The picture must not be doing the display any justice.

Only $9000, down from $15000? In that case I'll take two, no, make it three. I always wanted to know what it felt like to throw money away. :p

You can also get a 40"+ 4K TV for under $1300us already. @30Hz... but still 4K.
30Hz? Isn't that half of our comfort rate? I mean, below 60Hz I get a glowing headache when watching for longer than a few seconds...

LOL @ the ones above questioning the price... of a NEW technology.

*sigh*
*triple checks what website he's on to be sure he clicked the right bookmark*

Back