TechSpot

Samsung's curved OLED TV with Multi-View gets $8,999 price tag

By Shawn Knight
Aug 13, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Samsung will begin shipping their 55-inch curved OLED with Multi-View technology starting tomorrow for $8,999.99. That may seem like a hefty chunk of change to drop on a television (and it is) but it’s far better than the $15,000 price...

Read more

2. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,393   +108

OLED Pipe dream pricing.. Wait a few years for newer tech to drop this tech price down. 1080p selling cheap even for 50-inch LED/LCD for $349 over this past weekend. 4K out with their outrageous pricing but those that have that type of money are buying these sets.

3. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,156   +1,431

They say it's a steal, without detailing who's stealing from who...

Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  4. OortCloud

OortCloud TS Booster Posts: 119   +31

It's worth it just for the MultiView! I can watch the cricket while my missus watches DIY makeover shows!

5. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,631   +432

But how do both people hear their show? Headphones? Ew.

Something REALLY cool, would be if they dropped the 3D glasses and split the screen into 4 separate screens and let you watch up to 4 shows at once a la Back to the Future III. Every single and attached guy on the planet would buy a TV that could do that. This Multiview thing is garbage, and a waste of time and money IMO.

Imagine being able to pick what squares you want to watch your TV/videos, AND let you merge any two adjacent squares for a video, music, home security cameras, AND let you play a game at the same time. TV manufacturers should be working on that right now, not this crap. Go big or go home. OLED TV's are sick and I'll get one, but I won't get one with multiview that relies on glasses. This is a technology for guys that are super lovey dovey. Their is one remote for a reason. Oh god, imagine "kinect" on a tv that supports two or more people? LOL

6. hahahanoobs

You can also get a 40"+ 4K TV for under $1300us already. @30Hz... but still 4K.

7. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,920   +627

There's no reason for this to be priced lower. Their standard LED LCD 1080 panels haven't dropped a cent since the release of 4K.

8. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,624   +378

Multi-view htpc support?

9. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

OLEDs are still a work in progress and are so expensive to use. I am not surprised by the price.

10. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,560   +2,901

I could swear the image posted, looks as if it is a flat TV behind a curved glass. The picture must not be doing the display any justice.

11. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,519   +2,062

Only $9000, down from $15000? In that case I'll take two, no, make it three. I always wanted to know what it felt like to throw money away. :p

12. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,519   +2,062

Lets just say you won't be the main suspect.

VitalyT likes this.
  13. SalaSSin

SalaSSin TS Booster Posts: 142   +47

30Hz? Isn't that half of our comfort rate? I mean, below 60Hz I get a glowing headache when watching for longer than a few seconds...

14. hahahanoobs

LOL @ the ones above questioning the price... of a NEW technology.

*sigh*
    *triple checks what website he's on to be sure he clicked the right bookmark*

15. Darth Shiv

PAL and NTSC are below 30Hz and people have been using that for decades.

16. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,920   +627

17. Darth Shiv

25fps non-interlaced and 30fps non-interlaced actually...

Edit: Trust me you would know if you were watching it interlaced. Ever play C&C 1? The cutscene videos displayed interlaced and were painful to watch.

St1ckM4n likes this.