Samsung's latest Galaxy Fold and Galaxy Flip phones want to break out to the mainstream

Bob O'Donnell

Staff member

To fold or not to fold. That is the question.

At least, that's what Samsung – and now several other companies – are hoping people will start to ask as they consider their next smartphone purchase. The foldable phone category that Samsung first started just over 5 years ago with the debut of the original Galaxy Fold has slowly but surely grown from a tiny, specialty niche to an option that's on the verge of becoming mainstream.

Samsung helped the process along at their most recent Galaxy Unpacked launch event – held for the first time in the company's native South Korea – with the unveiling of the latest iterations in their line of foldable phones, the Galaxy Z Fold 5 and the Galaxy Z Flip 5.

At first glance, it's tempting to dismiss these new devices as little more than annual maintenance updates that only bring a few refinements to their existing designs. Ironically, though, it's some of the subtle changes that make the most profound impact on how it feels to use the devices.

Both the Fold 5 and the Flip 5 have an improved hinge design called Flex Hinge for the folding screen that makes the phones a bit thinner and allows them to close more completely. Until I had a chance to actually hold them and try them out – as I did here in Korea – I couldn't appreciate the change. But once I physically tested them out, there was an immediate sense of improved usability and cleanliness of design even versus the 4th generation models. It just feels and works better.

Internally, both phones are now powered by Qualcomm's latest Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 Mobile Platform for Galaxy SoC, offering approximately 15% improvements in performance versus last year's phones and up to 171% compared to the first-gen Fold's Snapdragon 855.

One very noticeable change on the Flip 5 is the nearly 4x increase in the size of the external display, which Samsung calls the Flex Window.

At 3.4" and 720 x 748 resolution, it now nearly completely fills the back panel and offers significantly more usability and capabilities. For example, you can now view multiple widgets simultaneously, get access to a full QWERTY keyboard for responding to texts without opening the phone, and more.

While the larger screen is an important evolutionary upgrade, it's also clearly a competitive one as Motorola's second generation Razr Plus foldable and other designs from Chinese companies like Oppo have started to include larger external panels on their foldables as well.

That's a great example of how additional competition in a category can drive further innovation. Though Samsung was making solid improvements on its own, there's no doubt that we're going to see more and faster innovations from this newly competitive environment. (I hope, for example, that Samsung considers doing a future Fold with the shorter, wider aspect ratio of Google's new Pixel Fold – but that's a story for another day.)

What's also interesting about the developments that Samsung is bringing to the foldable category is they're taking important steps towards making these devices mainstream. While many people – myself included – thought foldables would be adopted at a quick pace simply because of the unique benefits the form factor enabled, five years later it's clear that was not the case.

The high prices of the devices have been a limiting factor, but many potential buyers were also concerned about the reliability of the different form factor that foldables represented.

Overcoming these issues has taken a combination of time and ongoing developments that address the concerns (or perceived concerns) that people have had about foldables, particularly long-term durability. In that light, improvements like the new hinge design take on new importance because they help make the device feel more stable. Plus, the fact that Samsung is now on its fifth generation of foldables helps give potential buyers more confidence that the category is now mature enough for regular users and not just early adopters. (It's also given the company five years to get the message out about the category – a timeframe that's significantly longer than many thought it would need.)

The increased competition in foldables has also helped bring more legitimacy to the category. Some consumers aren't comfortable buying a product that only comes from one company, particularly in the rapidly evolving world of mobile technology. In a weird way, having strong competitive products actually makes Samsung's latest offerings feel more compelling.

The end result of all these developments is that it feels like foldables are finally ready to break out of their niche market and move into the mainstream. In fact, in a conversation with T.M. Roh, Samsung's global president of the mobile experience business, we were discussing the potential market opportunity for foldables and he brought up research forecasts that suggest the market could hit 100 million annual shipments over the next few years – a huge jump from the current roughly 14-15 million unit per year market.

While that may sound like a lofty target, it's important to remember that even in a declining smartphone market, foldables have beaten the odds and are now the fastest growing segment of the industry. Although it's certainly taken longer than expected, it appears foldables are finally starting to reach their potential.

Bob O'Donnell is the founder and chief analyst of TECHnalysis Research, LLC a technology consulting firm that provides strategic consulting and market research services to the technology industry and professional financial community. You can follow him on Twitter

Permalink to story.

They haven't made a meaningful improvement since the Fold 3, not sure what's going on.
Agreed. I have the Fold 3 and durability really isn't a concern so far. But if they want to make these things mainstream, they need to lower the cost considerably and make them much thinner and lighter (but not in the awful Pixel Fold way).

I can get an S23 256GB and a Tab S9 256GB for $150 more than a Fold 5 256GB. When I need a phone, I have a great phone. When I need more screen space I have something that offers more of that. The two individual devices dont need to compromise like the Fold does. The areas where a Fold is better than two separate devices is extremely few. I had hoped that by the 5th generation, the flaws of a folding screen would be much further reduced than the current generation offers. Too expansive, too fragile and too few use cases.

Link to GSMArena, comparing the s23, tab s9 and Fold 5.
https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=12082&idPhone2=12439&idPhone3=12418

You can throw around that tired and over-used word "mainstream" all you want (tech writers and politicians love this word......)

Fact is: There is a huge wall Samsung keeps crashing into, and it's called "The Too Expensive Wall" for 99% of customers!!!

I'm no market analyst of course, but if seems to me that when every other headline is how the mobile market its still in decline and people simply cannot afford to buy phones, hoping that your new flagship jumps to an eye-watering 1800 USD base price seems like a perfect formula for a disaster if they set those expectations to their shareholders: This is not just beyond inflation which when compared to salary stagnation already makes justifying the previous 1000-1200 USD range for a flagship hard to swallow but you want to almost double it and expect it to finally 'go mainstream'?

Like they seriously think people want a foldable bad enough to literally risk getting evicted or go without food for a couple months to even get such device? That's just never going to happen inside the next 2 or 3 years and you can quote me on that.

They are too thick for my taste.
Make one that is the thickness of a normal phone and that will be more interesting.

They want these devices to break out to the mainstream? Cut the price by 50-75%. I mean, I don't blame them for charging what they are charging, the "early adopters" are perfectly willing to pay whatever price, but hopefully Samsung doesn't really think they are going to sell mass quantities of $1500-2000 phones.

On the fifth generation I was expecting much better:
- better cameras
- included pen and inside de body
- a 100 to 200€ price reduction

Back to the reality:
- almost the same phone as the Fold 4 but with some minor improvements
- no pen
- in Europe the base model runs for almost 2000€ (without case, without pen, etc)

Mainstream, hey?

Translating "mainstream" from "Samsung speech" to "common speech":
"after making 1000€ mainstream for candy bar phones, we hope to make 2000€ mainstream for foldable phones, and people go for it". Samsung being Apple...

Very happy with my S22 Ultra + Tab S6 Lite for much less.

Back