Samsung's massive 18.4-inch Galaxy View tablet spied in leaked photo set

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Samsung teased a product it’s calling the Galaxy View at last month’s IFA event. As the days passed, we've learned more and more about this mystery device yet still, the only images we had to go on were those initial teasers from Samsung.

Needless to say, they didn’t really reveal much.

That’s all changed now as SamMobile managed to get ahold of a cornucopia of purported Galaxy View images which appear to be screenshots from a promo video. The validity of the photos is plausible as they at least match up with the official teasers from Samsung.

So, what can we take away here?

For starters, it’s safe to assume that the Galaxy View is all about consumption (hence the name “View”) as none of the images show people interacting directly with the slate. The stand / dock is visible in nearly every photo as well albeit sometimes in an opposite orientation. This suggests it’s either removable or perhaps permanently affixed and rotatable although this seems less likely.

The dock / stand also includes a built-in handle, no doubt convenient when lugging around a tablet of this size.

A device believed to be the Galaxy View was spotted on GFXBench earlier this month as the SM-T670. Specs for that device include an 18.5-inch 1080p display that’s powered by a Samsung Exynos 7 octa-core SoC alongside an ARM Mali-T720 GPU and 2GB of RAM. The mystery device also packed 32GB of local storage and a 2-megapixel front-facing camera.

All things considered, the Galaxy View looks to be a mid-range video playback machine that’ll hopefully be priced as such. No word yet on when it’ll officially break cover although given the mounting evidence, I suspect we won’t have to wait too much longer.

All images courtesy SamMobile

Permalink to story.

Does it take a sim card? I'd love to walk around the streets nattering away on it and using it while I'm driving, I'd look so cool. :p I'd also love to use it while I'm standing in a queue so that the six people behind me (maybe the 7th as well) can share what I'm watching. I'm very thoughtful that way :D

Wow. Put 4 legs on it and you have a table.
On the + side, a tablet this big will be perfect to read full page comics. On the down side, 1080p is not enough, with 4K and retina around.

Back