TechSpot

Sand-based anode could triple li-ion battery performance

By Scorpus
Jul 9, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Researchers at the University of California's Bourns College of Engineering have discovered that common sand, found at beaches and riversides everywhere, has the potential to drastically improve the performance of lithium-ion batteries.

Read more

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,035   +914

This is some exciting news. Sand is abundant and the fact that it can help increase battery life span and capacity is just amazing.

3. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,354   +109

I love reading these news but we never see them in use or production, like graphene materials thats harder than steel or whatnot, lots of concepts that never reach mass production =(

WangDangDoodle and ikesmasher like this.
  4. Forg0t2

Forg0t2 TS Enthusiast Posts: 117   +15

You will only see improvements on phones and mobile devices for a very limited time. Why? Because than you can add stuff to the mobile device that is now still incapable of being added due to battery life. Still I like it very much that sometimes such big improvements come from such ordinary and (not literally) simple things such as sand...

5. Satish Mallya

Satish Mallya TS Rookie Posts: 31   +12

The article seems to be referring to an increased number of cycles, not an increase in capacity.
    So battery life here means the number of years that you can go before your battery refuses to hold a charge.

6. WangDangDoodle

WangDangDoodle TS Rookie Posts: 48   +13

This is good news. Battery technology needs a serious bump. We keep getting bigger and faster CPUs, GPUs, APUs/SoCs and all that, but improvements to battery technology is a rare thing. Though, as Kibaruk pointed out, it remains to be seen whether or not this will result in something viable for mass production. It seems simple enough, using sand 'n all that, but I'm not a scientist. :)

7. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,354   +109

Even though it sounds simple maybe the process of converting or purifying sand to the needed point may be costly.

8. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,021   +153

da**. my plan to go to the beach and grab a handful of sand to power my smartphone has been crushed. :)

agree with kibaruk.

9. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 734   +230

Uh, this guy didn't "discover" anything. The properties of silicon dioxide are very well understood. Companies have been experimenting with silicon based battery tech for nearly fifteen years. Its been a theoretical approach for even longer than that.

10. Flynn Mccoy

Flynn Mccoy TS Rookie

Wow, its great to know such unique information as all of us are always up with our smartphones whenever we are on the beach or somewhere else.

11. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,843   +927

Dear God, I hope that pun was intentional.:oops:

Anyway, a large portion of beach sand is crushed quartz. Crushed quartz is comprised mostly SiO2, or silicon dioxide.

So, the next thing you know, they'll be trying to tell us you can make CPUs out of sand as well.

12. dexterkarthik

dexterkarthik TS Rookie

"The porous nature of the nano-silicon crafted from sand has the potential to increase the lifespan of a lithium-ion battery by three times or more"

This indicates only an increase in the battery life, but not clear if it is overall life or the life between charge cycles. I hope it is not the latter.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.