TechSpot

Sapphire HD 7950 showing 1GB instead of 3GB?

By Blkfx1
Feb 13, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hey guys,
    I just recently noticed my graphic cards seem to running or at least reporting 1GB vram instead of 3GB. Do you think they are defective? Take a look at these results. It's showing a total of 2GB vram for my cards after running Firestrike.
    http://www.3dmark.com/fs/148413

Also, CPU-z is reporting 1GB as well as other benchmarking applications.
    I attached a SS of my cpu report. Sorry about how crappy it is.

Anyone know what this could mean? Is it a glitch?

Attached Files:

• SS.png
      SS.png
      File size:
      359.6 KB
      Views:
  2. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,364   +9

Have you tried flipping the bios switch on your cards?

3. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TS Addict Topic Starter Posts: 894   +173

Yup, it was one of the first things I tried. I went ahead and benched each card separately using a different PCIE slot each time. During the single card tests, Unigine 4.0 / 3DMark 11 showed the correct values. However, when I checked CPU-Z is still showed the wrong amount of V-RAM. I've came to the conclusion that it is a crossfire glitch in 3DMark and a overall GPU glitch in CPU-Z. Maybe future CPU-Z updates will fix this issue.

Also, just to note, I should have simply checked GPU-Z / CCC system info. Both show correct values with W/ and W/O crossfire enabled.

4. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

CPU-Z also shows 1GB for me...

5. Blkfx1

Yeah, I think it's just a issue with the program. It did have me worried a bit though :x.

6. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,082   +920

Sorry for getting off topic but your desktop is awesome. On topic: I asked my friend who had that card and he also reported 1GB. It is a glitch. They issue fixes often so it will hopefully be fixed soon.

7. Blkfx1

Update: Yesterday, while I was updating a couple other programs. I went ahead and updated to the latest version of CPU-Z. To my surprise, it now shows the correct VRAM values for my cards. So, I guess it was just a glitch in the software after all. However, that still doesn't explain why recently released 3DMark shows 2GB for crossfire cards instead of 3GB.

8. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,082   +920

I was wondering since I noticed there was .63 out, I was running .62

9. Blkfx1

YUP! Now, hopefully with Beta 6 released for latest AMD drivers maybe I'll get the correct readings in 3DMark and 3DMark 11

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.