SATA Boot Errors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im getting an issue where after a computer is started, it will not boot from the SATA drive. The VIA loader screen comes up and it lists the wrong model hard drive (lists it as Maxtor CALYPSO instead of Maxtor JD900 or whatever). It then whines that there is no Disk to boot from. However if I unplug the SATA drive, start the computer, then plug it back in and restart again, the VIA loader will see the correct HD model then boot without problems. My question is why is this happening?

sounds like a via problem, more spedifically a bios problem. do you have the latest bios for your mobo?

I havent updating the BIOS. I dont know why I should really, the computer is about 2 or 3 years old and has only begun to act up now.

Sounds like you have a problem with the cables...
Are you bumping into the case a lot? Or is the cable in a position that slowly disconnects it?

As for the update, it can fix a bug in the firmware that might be cause of your problems.

What's your motherboard model? I do know that with some ASUS mobo's, specifically the K8V Deluxe (in my case), there is a fix. Please read this quote from Asus' site.

VIA 8237/8237R South-bridge chipsets do not provide upward compatibility with SATA-II hard disk drives at 300 MB/s. These HDDs may not even be detected at POST. To install a SATA-II hard drive, users need to lock the drive at 150 MB/s data transfer rate by HDD jumper setting. Please refer to the following jumper setting from HDDs manufacturers or visit their website for latest updates.

Hope this helps.

Ill try updating it, but this still doesnt explain why this started to happen now considering the computers been around for 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back