Hello out there, here's what I have:

Mobo: DFI NF2 Ultra Infinity
CPU: Anthlon XP 3200 @ 2.2 ghz
RAM: DDR 400@ 2 GB
HD'S: 2 WD 80 GB in RAID 0 Config SATA
GFX card: EVGA Nvidia chip 6800 GT 256 MB
DVD/CD-ROM: Two LG HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NS30 SCSI CdRom
XP home edition: service pack 3 build 2600

I was given this computer the other day, and I wanted to burn DVD's with it so I purchased the two LG Gh22NS30 burners from new egg replacing an IDE light on drive that came with it. When I plugged these into the remaing two SATA ports on the mother board, every thing worked fine. I used the driver disc that came with them, and was able to burn a few dvds in dvdfab with no problems. I should add here that the mother board has 4 SATA ports, two of which (0 and 1) are being used for the hard drives, and the other two ( 2 and 3)for my DVD burners. I later loaded Bioshock, and Oblivion, both of which played fine (no crashes), not sure if this has anything to do with my current problem. After this, I restarted the computer for some reason, and my computer stopped at DMI pool data. I did some reading on the internet from my laptop, and was able to get it to boot into windows using only one of my dvd burners (which works every time). Either one would work in either port (2 and 3) but never together. I also checked the cables.

So I looked in the raid utility (Silicon Image 3114 rev. 001) and noticed something interesting. Under the option to view the drives in both logical and physical, I noticed that both dvd drives are listed, (when i have them both plugged in during start up). When I scroll through the logical drives, the Sil Raid 0 under logical drive will highlight the raid 0 hard drives under physical. I scroll down to GH22 in logical, and it highlights GH22 in physical. Now I scroll down to the second Gh22 under logical drive, and the second drive under physical does not highlight. It stays on the same GH22 drive as before and never is the second GH22 drive under physical highlighted. Make sense?

I have looked for a BIOS update through DFI, and it warns not to update it unless I am having problems in which I am not. The version I am using is (Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 6/19/2004) and SMBIOS Version 2.2.

I'm not sure how to get this to work, I have updated the mother board driver, and can't seem to find this same problem on the net. Any information helps!

Thanks much,

mnkyrench2,
Have you made any progress on this? Try resetting the motherboards bios to optimate defaults. Set the SATA controller to IDE not to RAID

Thanks for the reply tmagic. What i ended up doing was reformating the hard drive. When i installed windows again, i payed attention to what programs i loaded. What I found was when I loaded DVDfab and booted, without using the dvdfab software, i froze at dmi pool data. This was with service pack 2. Again, i was able to boot with only one dvd-ram after this, but not both. So there is something in dvdfab, or sp2 or sp3 that is changing something in my system when DVDfab is loaded. And it's not allowing me to carry two sata, dvd-ram devices at the same time. I will probably contact DVDfab about this issue, and see what they have to say. I had followed the un-installation procedure found on cdfreaks to get rid of everything dvdfab put on the computer, including a registry cleaner and defragment. So if this procedure does in fact clean the system of dvdfab, then something else has changed in the process, and I just don't know what. I will post any solution i come up with if I do. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back