TechSpot

SATA HD Problem, Part II

By blvtzpk
Oct 18, 2005
  1. Hi all,

I had a problem a few months ago with my new SATA drive (see here: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic28952.html)

I did get it up and running, but I've had a problem with it today.

I decided to reinstall windows xp, and refomrtted the main HD (also SATA). I got windows working again, but once more the SATA drive was no recoginised, as was the case the first time around (see earlier post).

I followed the basic instructions I was given last time around, but now this extra drive - which is now chock full of important files - comes up as being empty and unformatted. I DID NOT reformat it during any of the processes today.

Can anybody tell what is wrong, what I've done wrong, and any way to fix it so that I have access to the files on the disk???

Thanks!!!

2. blvtzpk

blvtzpk TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 28

My apologies for the terrible spelling above - stress does terribel things.

I've run some checking software over the drive (now mounted as D:) but each time I'm told that it does not contain a recognisable file system and it needs to be formatted.

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that the data on there is lost (unless someone else can suggest a solution).

Can anybody tell me why this happened? Did I not format it or mount correctly when I first installed it? I'd really like to know so this does not happen again...

3. blvtzpk

blvtzpk TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 28

Any suggestions? My cursor is hovering over the "Format-OK" button, but I don't want to take that route if the data on the disk can be salvaged...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.