TechSpot

SATA HD with IDE drivers?

By rgreen
Jun 8, 2007
  1. I recently built a PC and didn't order a floppy drive so I couldn't install SATA drivers when installing XP. Everything works fine I was just wondering if anything bad can happen? Am I confined to IDE speeds etc..?

2. mica3speedy

mica3speedy TS Rookie Posts: 89

should be fine unless the hard drive has a jumper that needs to be removed to run at 3gb/sec (sata 2)

3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,704   +397

How'd you get it installed to the SATA drive then? Some setups (the only 2 motherboards I've used with sata did) where the SATA doesn't need special drivers for a reason I can't explain properly right now. So basically if you got Windows installed to the drive you don't need to worry about it.

4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Some SATA controllers are able to emulate an IDE controller (it's a BIOS setting). As for the speeds, only benchmarking would tell..

People report that some OS/hardware/driver combinations even run significantly faster in ATA emulation mode than native SATA.

5. matav

matav TS Enthusiast Posts: 144

i dont know wat the configuration of your computer is... but your mother board must have sata compatible ports... no other way.
    SATA ports are 3/4th an inch of size and simply named as sata 1 sata 2 etc... it's on the mother board.
    and wat relation is there between a floppy drive and a SATA HDD?
    and how come anyone has to install SATA HDD's?
    WAIT! are we speaking about a SATA HDD? i havent heard of SATA drivers.

6. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

please DO NOT piggy back questions. Start a new thread. Please read the rules.

7. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 923   +11

u just said how little u know so read and then answere.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.