Sata HDD in but winXP & WD Diagnostic see only IDE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parts:

Intel DP35DP
WD Raptor 150
no floppy drive

I plugged in the HDD to one of the Sata ports and the BIOS recognizes the drive under the options RAID, AHCI or IDE. If I select RAID or AHCI then the Western Digital Diagnostic tool and WinXP SP2 (w/ iata75 intel drivers slipstreamed) say that no drive is found. But, if I select IDE in the BIOS then the drive is successfully tested w/ WD Tools but crashes whenever WinXP tries to actually write to it (altho it does see it). I don't quite understand how the mix-up between Sata and IDE is happening or how to resolve it.

reinstall sata drivers for MB
if it still hangs on writes maybe you got it write protected
other wise sounds like bad drive

thanks for the info. I'm not certain how you write (un)protect the drive. I looked for information online and in the bios. I ran hiren's and the WD Lifeguard Tools and it was able to find the drive and format it (in IDE mode only, which I assume the sata is emulating) but whenever winXP attempted to write to the current partition, the machine crashed.

Since it's my 2nd mobo, even though the drive can be found and tested without any errors, i'm beginning to think it's the HDD as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back