SATA II HArd drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just ordered the parts to build a new computer, after reading all the posts on Sata and all I am confused. Will I need drivers downloaded on a floppy or whatever for the Sata II hard drive as I am also putting Windows XP Pro SP2 on it, or will Pro do all of that during install. New motherboard, new hard drive, new OS and new everything else.

WD 250 Sata II

Thanks in advance.

mrmrsdb said:
I just ordered the parts to build a new computer, after reading all the posts on Sata and all I am confused. Will I need drivers downloaded on a floppy or whatever for the Sata II hard drive as I am also putting Windows XP Pro SP2 on it, or will Pro do all of that during install. New motherboard, new hard drive, new OS and new everything else.

WD 250 Sata II

Thanks in advance.

Yes, probably. So be prepared for it. You'll need a floppy diskette and floppy drive (USB floppy drive will work if you do not have an internal floppy). The diskette will need to have drivers located at the root of the diskette.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216406/en-us

It depends, motherboards with a SATA controller integrated in the chipset (southbridge) do not need drivers during the XP install. If SATA is provided through an add-on chip (Promise, Silicon Image, etc.) then you will need drivers.

On the other hand, you'll always need the drivers if you're using raid features, even if the SATA controller is integrated on the chipset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back