SATA Raid 1 set and CDRW/DVDRW vanishes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mimentor

I have an ASUS P5LD2 Deluxe m/board with twin seagate 120GB HDDs set to Raid 1. O/S is XP and Mandriva - all running perfectly except I can't get my CDROM/DVD combo or my DVDRW to appear in XP. (They appear in Mandriva but that could be from previous installation - but will not respond to commands).

I have power to the CD and DVDRW ROMSs, I can open and close the drawers by pushing the button, upon closing they start up but won't read a CD at all. DVD is set as Master and CDRW as slave.

BIOS setting (Advanced / Silicon 3132 Controller = RAID MODE). (It's as if all 3 of my IDE channels are switched off).
Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated. (I suspect I've overlooked something in BIOS)

Thanks in advance

I dont know about your particular board but I have two Asus P4P800SE boards and in the bios you have to use the "enhanced" setting in order for both sata and PATA (IDE) to be enabled.

Thanks but I went back and tried that - according to my BIOS I have SATA and PATA enabled.

After doing that I get a message "Secondary slave drive is not ATAPI compatible Press F1 to continue." and I press F1 to get a perfect Windows splash screen and normal entry (but again with no CD or DVD ROMs showing).

This is sooooo annoying because the Mobo CD cannot be installed or the cool free software that came with the deluxe edition.

I've written to ASUS too but no response yet.

ASUS responded via email saying I had to load a special driver onto floppy and load it first. This didn't work but solved the problem.

The cause was that the ASUS P5LD2 Mobos will allow UP TO 4 IDE connections.
The HDDs appeared as IDE HDDs (even tho they were SATA connected but set up as IDE drives rather than RAID 0 or 1 Formats) Thus the number of IDE devices hit 4 and one (the DVDRW) was disabled - would not appear.

Have since tested this on another P5LD2 Deluxe and another P5LD2 Mobo with same results. What a dumb design idea!

It is generally not a good idea to mix SATA and IDE hardware as they can interfere. That said - I know plenty of people who have no problems at all.

Regards,

Korrupt

korrupt said:
It is generally not a good idea to mix SATA and IDE hardware as they can interfere. That said - I know plenty of people who have no problems at all.

Regards,

Korrupt

Hiya mate.

Is there some reason why you`re posting in old storage and networking threads?

Regards Howard :)

Yes there is,

I know I personally get annoyed when there are no replies and my thread moves further and further away from the beginning. The problems seem to have not been solved so I figured I'd be a good samaritan and help them out. Is there anything wrong with that honestly?

Regards,

Korrupt

korrupt said:
Yes there is,

I know I personally get annoyed when there are no replies and my thread moves further and further away from the beginning. The problems seem to have not been solved so I figured I'd be a good samaritan and help them out. Is there anything wrong with that honestly?

Regards,

Korrupt

No, nothing wrong with that mate.

Just thought I`d ask.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back