Sata Raid o Set up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it so hard to set up a SATA Raid 0 Drive??? Here is what I have. Asus K8V with the latest bios. I have 2 160 GB Samsung SATA drives.

I have followed the directions in the book to the letter. Only now that I upgraded the bios to the latest build I am not able to hit the tab key to get to the utility to set up the raid.

After I get past that I go to the windows set up when it asks you to hit the F6 key to laod drivers. I do that with the floppy and get to the screen to install and windows says no drive.

I read that you have to fdisk the drive but can't get to commnad prompt to do that

Any help

Thanks

dragan said:
Why is it so hard to set up a SATA Raid 0 Drive??? Here is what I have. Asus K8V with the latest bios. I have 2 160 GB Samsung SATA drives.

I have followed the directions in the book to the letter. Only now that I upgraded the bios to the latest build I am not able to hit the tab key to get to the utility to set up the raid.

After I get past that I go to the windows set up when it asks you to hit the F6 key to laod drivers. I do that with the floppy and get to the screen to install and windows says no drive.

I read that you have to fdisk the drive but can't get to commnad prompt to do that

Any help

Thanks

Forget about FDISK - you don't want to use it under any circumstances unless you want a FAT32 partition for some God awful reason. ;)

I am not able to hit the tab key to get to the utility to set up the raid.
I've never seen "hit tab" before, for a SATA RAID controller. Is it possible that SATA RAID is disabled in the BIOS?

Does it actually prompt you to press 's' to specify your RAID drivers? If it doesn't, I'm thinking that your keyboard might not work. You can't press tab to get into your RAID setup and you can't press F6 to install your RAID drivers.... Can you get into your BIOS by pressing the DEL key (or whatever it may be)

The tab option is when the bios first starts up. It is there to setup the drives, but when I go to it I can't do anything.

Yes it prompts me for the "s" and I put the floppy in I hear the floppy working. Thats when windows say no drive??

That's just the splash screen, pressing tab should take you to the setup options. Does pressing tab take you to the setup options?

Attachments

• Raid.jpg
    Raid.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 6
If you press 's' to specify the driver, you will either see a list of drivers to choose from or a single driver that can be installed for your RAID controller.

If your drives work and show up in the RAID BIOS and Windows gives the opportunity to install your F6 drivers, so the only other option is this driver is incorrect or the diskette has been damaged.

Download the latest SATA drivers for your model of RAID controller from your manufacturer. The type of controller you have probably shows during the RAID BIOS display. txtsetup.oem should be in the root of the floppy drive, along with the other driver files included by the manuacturer for it to work properly. There should be instructions out there (or included with the driver) if you have any more questions.

I pressed the tab key and no matter what key I hipressed after the new window opened nothing happened.

I downloaded the latest driver from ASUS and same result.

I am calling ASUS next

Thanks for your input
Don

Just a thought, maybe the BIOS you updated is faulty. Either look for a roll back at ASUS or just try to flash it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back